Solving Extrema Problems on a Defined Function

• Thread starter bballvas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extrema
In summary, the conversation discusses an extrema problem and asks for help with determining the coordinates of the relative extrema, relative maxima, undefined values, and concave down values of a function in an open interval. The derivative of the absolute value function is used to find these values, and it is shown that the derivative is undefined at -2. It is also determined that the function is concave down in the open intervals (-2,0) and (1,3).
bballvas
Extrema Problem - Need help

Please help me with this problem if you can:

The function f(x) is defined as f(x)=-2(x+2)(x-1)^2 on the open interval (-3,3).

1. Determine the coordinates of the relative extrema of f(x) in the open interval (-3,3)

2. Let g(x) be defined as g(x)= absolute value of f(x) in the open interval (-3,3). Determine the coordinates of the relative maxima of g(x) in the open interval. Explain your reasoning.

3. For what values of x is g'(x) not defined? Explain your reasoning.

4. Find all values of x for which g(x) is concave down. Explain your reasoning.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
A good thing to do first would be looking up the definitions of the terms 'extrema', 'concave', etc.

1. What are coordinates, and how do we find the relative extrema of a function?
2. What does the absolute value "do" to a number?
3. For what values are the derivative of the absolute value function not defined?
4. What does it mean to be concave down?

I've already done the first part and the second part. I just need help on parts 3 and 4. How do I show that the g'(x) is undefined at -2? Can I do some sort of limit statement?

By the way, my answer to part 1 is:

relative min: (-1,-8)
relative max: (1,0)

and my answer to part 2 is:

relative max (-1,8)

What is the derivative of the absolute value function, and where is it not defined?

I broke up g(x) into -2x^3+6x-4 when x≤-2 and 2x^3-6x+4 when x>-2 so the derivative when x≤-2 is -6x^2+6 and the derivative when x>-2 is 6x^2-6. I'm not sure if that's right though. I know g'(x) is undefined at -2.

It's easy to see that if x< -2, f(x) is positive and so
|f(x)|= f(x)= -2(x+2)(x-1)^2. Neither of the relative extrema are less than -2.

If -2< x, then f(x) is negative (0 at x= 1) and so |f(x)|= 2(x+2)(x-1)^2. The relative extrema of that are at the same x as for f(x) but the y values are reversed sign.

Yes, g' is not defined at x= -2. A derivative is not necessarily continuous but does satisfy the "intermediate value property". In particular, it is sufficient to show that the limits of g(x) as x goes to -2 from above and below are not the same. Do you see why g(x) is differentiable at x= 1? "Concave downward" would be like y= -x2. It must have the property that the second derivative is negative. For what values of x is g"(x) negative?

I just noticed that this had also been posted in "Math- Calculus and Analysis". I'm merging the two threads.

I took the second derivative and got:

g"(x)=-12x when x≤-2
g"(x)=12x when x>-2

because it's concave down when g"(x) is negative you only use the second part and then I get that g(x) is concave down on the open interval (-2,0)

What is an Extrema 4 part problem?

An Extrema 4 part problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a function with 4 different variables.

What are the steps to solve an Extrema 4 part problem?

The steps to solve an Extrema 4 part problem are:

1. Identify the function and its variables.
  2. Take the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable.
  3. Set the partial derivatives equal to 0 and solve for the variables.
  4. Plug the values of the variables into the original function to find the maximum or minimum value.

What is the significance of finding the extrema in a 4 part problem?

Finding the extrema in a 4 part problem can help determine the optimal values for each variable in order to achieve the maximum or minimum value of the function. This can be useful in various real-world applications such as maximizing profits or minimizing costs.

What are some common challenges in solving Extrema 4 part problems?

Some common challenges in solving Extrema 4 part problems include:

• The complexity of the functions and equations involved.
  • The number of variables and determining which partial derivatives to set equal to 0.
  • The algebraic manipulations required to solve for the variables.

Are there any tips or strategies for solving Extrema 4 part problems?

Some tips and strategies for solving Extrema 4 part problems include:

• Practice identifying the function and its variables in different contexts.
  • Take time to carefully set up the partial derivatives and equations before solving.
  • Use techniques such as substitution or elimination to simplify the equations and make them easier to solve.
  • Check your answers by plugging them back into the original function and ensuring they result in the expected maximum or minimum value.