1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extrema 4 part problem - need help

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1
    Extrema Problem - Need help

Please help me with this problem if you can:

The function f(x) is defined as f(x)=-2(x+2)(x-1)^2 on the open interval (-3,3).

1. Determine the coordinates of the relative extrema of f(x) in the open interval (-3,3)

2. Let g(x) be defined as g(x)= absolute value of f(x) in the open interval (-3,3). Determine the coordinates of the relative maxima of g(x) in the open interval. Explain your reasoning.

3. For what values of x is g'(x) not defined? Explain your reasoning.

4. Find all values of x for which g(x) is concave down. Explain your reasoning.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

A good thing to do first would be looking up the definitions of the terms 'extrema', 'concave', etc.

4. Oct 9, 2006 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1. What are coordinates, and how do we find the relative extrema of a function?
    2. What does the absolute value "do" to a number?
    3. For what values are the derivative of the absolute value function not defined?
    4. What does it mean to be concave down?

5. Oct 9, 2006 #4
    I've already done the first part and the second part. I just need help on parts 3 and 4. How do I show that the g'(x) is undefined at -2? Can I do some sort of limit statement?

6. Oct 9, 2006 #5
    By the way, my answer to part 1 is:

relative min: (-1,-8)
    relative max: (1,0)

and my answer to part 2 is:

relative max (-1,8)

7. Oct 9, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What is the derivative of the absolute value function, and where is it not defined?

8. Oct 9, 2006 #7
    I broke up g(x) into -2x^3+6x-4 when x≤-2 and 2x^3-6x+4 when x>-2 so the derivative when x≤-2 is -6x^2+6 and the derivative when x>-2 is 6x^2-6. I'm not sure if that's right though. I know g'(x) is undefined at -2.

9. Oct 9, 2006 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's easy to see that if x< -2, f(x) is positive and so
    |f(x)|= f(x)= -2(x+2)(x-1)^2. Neither of the relative extrema are less than -2.

If -2< x, then f(x) is negative (0 at x= 1) and so |f(x)|= 2(x+2)(x-1)^2. The relative extrema of that are at the same x as for f(x) but the y values are reversed sign.

Yes, g' is not defined at x= -2. A derivative is not necessarily continuous but does satisfy the "intermediate value property". In particular, it is sufficient to show that the limits of g(x) as x goes to -2 from above and below are not the same. Do you see why g(x) is differentiable at x= 1? "Concave downward" would be like y= -x2. It must have the property that the second derivative is negative. For what values of x is g"(x) negative?

10. Oct 9, 2006 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I just noticed that this had also been posted in "Math- Calculus and Analysis". I'm merging the two threads.

11. Oct 9, 2006 #10
    I took the second derivative and got:

g"(x)=-12x when x≤-2
    g"(x)=12x when x>-2

because it's concave down when g"(x) is negative you only use the second part and then I get that g(x) is concave down on the open interval (-2,0)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?