1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extrema in 3D problem

1. Dec 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the surface defined by

F(x,y,z)=1/2(x+y)^2+(y+z)^2+(x+z)^2=9

(a) Evaluate grad(F)

My Solution:
    grad(F)=(3x+y+2z, x+3y+2z, 2x+2y+4z)

(b) Find the highest and lowest points on the surface (i.e. the points where z attains a maximum or minimum).

Problem:
    So I can solve for z=g(x,y) using the quadratic formula and get a nasty expression (see attached) and
    then go about finding the extrema, but this is ugly.

If I set each component of the gradient to zero, then the only solution is (x,y,z)=(0,0,0) which is NOT an
    extrema (see attached image), rather there are two extrema.

How do I do this the "easy" way?

(c) The surface is illuminated from far above by light rays that are directed parallel to the z-axis. Find the
    shape of its shadow in the plane below the surface parallel to the (x,y) coordinate plane.

Problem:

So now this is projecting the surface onto the (x,y)-plane. I have no idea how to do this.

Please help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the equation F(x,y,z) = 0 to evaluate [itex] z_x = \partial z / \partial x[/itex] and [itex] z_y = \partial z / \partial y[/itex] at a given point [itex] (x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex] on the surface; that is, you need to figure out [itex] \Delta z[/itex] such that
    [tex] F(x_0 + \Delta x, y_0 + \Delta y, z_0 + \Delta z) = 0. [/tex] You don't need the exact[itex] \Delta z[/itex]; you just need the ``first-order'' expression that is linear in [itex] \Delta x \mbox{ and } \Delta y.[/itex] Then you need [itex] z_z = 0[/itex] and [itex] z_y = 0. [/itex]

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook