Extremals - calc of variations

• Thread starter jordan23
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is that y(x) is a function of itself. After grinding through the algebra, it appears that y(x) is a function of y-1/2. However, if y-1/2 can't be combined with y, then y is a function of y-1/2.
jordan23
I am trying to find the extremal that minimizes [tex]\int_{0}^{1} \sqrt{y(1+y'^2)} dx[/tex]

Because it is not explicitly a function of the free variable x, I can use the shortcut:

constant=F-y'*(dF/dy') to solve for y(x)

My problem is that after grinding through the algebra my y(x) is a function of itself, in other words I cannot isolate the variable I want to.

If anybody can offer some tips on either another way to go about this
problem or maybe argue that y(x) can be isolated it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help!

(In case the formatting doesn't work, everything inside the integral is raised to the 1/2)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "my y(x) is a function of itself"

Assuming that by "F" you mean the integrand: F= y1/2(1+y'2)1/2 then I get dF/dy'= y1/2y'(1+y'2)-1/2 so

F- y'dF/dy'= constant becomes
y1/2(1+y'2)1/2-y'2y1/2(1+y'2)-1/2= const.

That's a rather complicated differential equation for y. You might be able to simplify it by multiplying the equation by (1+y'2)-1/2, then squaring both sides.

right, I think that is the same result that I get. Upon the simplification that you mentioned, and then solving the diff eq, I think it turns out to be:

Kx - x*y^-1/2 + C = 2y^1/2 : c,k are constants

and the y's cannont be combined and therefore y is a function of y.

Hopefully I am just missing something here and there is an obvious solution.

Thanks for the quick response.

I don't understand what you mean by "y's cannnot be combined and therefore y is a function of y." The fact that you (or I!) cannot solve an equation doesn't mean that there is no solution.

If there is not a single solution for y as a function of x then there exist more than one solution to the differential equation. You might be able to determine which is correct for this problem when you apply the initial conditions to determine C.

For this particular equation, Kx - x*y^-1/2 + C = 2y^1/2, you might try multiplying throug by y-1/2 to get
(Kx+C)y1/2- xy- 2= 0. Now replace y by z2 so that the equation becomes (Kx+C)z- xz2- 2= 0 which is a quadratic equation. Use the quadratic formula to solve for z and then take the square root to get y.

Point well taken, good idea. I'll let you know if it works out.

Won't you get the same answer if you extremize
[tex]
\int_0^1y(1+y'^2)dx
[/tex]
instead?

dhris

What is the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal solution to a certain function or functional. It involves finding the extrema (maximum or minimum) of a function, also known as "extremals".

What is an extremal?

An extremal is a function that minimizes or maximizes a certain functional. In other words, it is the optimal solution to a given problem in the calculus of variations.

What is the difference between a maximum and a minimum extremal?

A maximum extremal is the highest value of a function, while a minimum extremal is the lowest value of a function. In the calculus of variations, we are interested in finding both the maximum and minimum extremals for a given functional.

What is the variational problem?

The variational problem is the main problem in the calculus of variations. It involves finding the extremal that satisfies certain boundary conditions and minimizes or maximizes a given functional.

What are some real-life applications of the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations has many real-world applications, such as optimizing the shape of a bridge or finding the shortest path between two points. It is also used in economics, physics, and engineering to solve various optimization problems.