1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extreme points on parabola

1. Aug 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The parabola [tex] 9x^{2} + 24xy + 16y^{2} + 20x - 15y = 0 [/tex] has vertex at the origin. Find the coordinates of the points on the parabola that have extreme x-values

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

To start off, I don't quite understand the question. What does it mean for points on a parabola to have an extreme x-value? Don't parabolas extend til infinity in the x-direction? I thought about implicitly differentiating and going after the min/max values using the first derivative, but I don't see how that's going to answer the question. Someone have an idea? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Parabolas that have axis of symmetry parallel to the y-axis are unbounded in x but not y. Because of the "xy" term, this parabola is at an angle to the axes and may be bounded in both x and y. Since you want to find the "extreme x" values, you want to think of x as a function of y. Differentiate x with respect to y using implicit differentiation.

4. Aug 20, 2008 #3
    It means find the points on the parabola corresponding to x maxima and minima. One of these is infinite. Go with implicit differentiation and find the points.

5. Aug 20, 2008 #4
    Thanks guys; I implicitly differentiated and found that [tex]\frac {dx}{dy} = \frac {15 - 32y}{18x + 44} [/tex]. I used this to say that when the denominator is 0, namely when x is -44/18, x is an extreme. Does this sound right?

6. Aug 20, 2008 #5
    Try doing the differentiation again. Remember you are taking the derivative w.r.t. y, assuming x is a function of y. Please don't forget to use the product rule.

7. Aug 21, 2008 #6
    Set the derivative to 0 and solve for x or y. Then put back into the original equation to find the points.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?