What Causes Extreme Temperature Swings in My City?

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary: Another time, it was so cold that the water in our fish tank froze.In summary, this city has seen a spread of actual temperatures of 82.6 degrees over the past 18 months.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yesterday's high temperature here was 38.4C (101.1F). The early morning low on 15 Jan 2020 was -44.2C (-47.6F). In the last 18 months, my city has had a spread of actual temperatures of 82.6C (148.7F).

Physics news on Phys.org
George Jones said:
Yesterday's high temperature here was 38.4C (101.1F). The early morning low on 15 Jan 2020 was -44.2C (-47.6F). In the last 18 months, my city has had a spread of actual temperatures of 82.6C (148.7F).
I think nature is trying its hand at annealing humans.

Being serious, hope you and those around you are managing to stay cool.

In our area in the NE US, we've had a low of -33°F (-36°C) back around 1993 and a high of something like 108°F (42.2°C) in our backyard according to our thermometer, which we consider pretty accurate.

Officially, lowest recorded temperature is -30°F (-34.4°C) January 21, 1961 and an official high of 104°F (40°C) August 1, 1933. Our thermometer indicated 104°F (in the shade) two days ago, while the official temperature was 97°F.

I remember when I was a boy we had a storm in June when it was 90F before the storm and we had ice and snow fall during it. 18 months? More like a few hours.

Vanadium 50 said:
I remember when I was a boy we had a storm in June when it was 90F before the storm and we had ice and snow fall during it. 18 months? More like a few hours.
Did you also have to walk 10 miles uphill in the storm to school?

Haborix said:
Uphill both ways.

• Haha
Likes gleem and Haborix
Haborix said:
When it was -44.2C (-47.6F), I did make my usual 20-minute walk to a local coffee shop, from where, after sitting dwon with tea and cheese croissant, I catch a bus to work. I didn't do this yesterday, not because of the heat, but because I am still under work-from-home directions from my employer.

Temperature dropped 15-20 degrees Celsius in less than an hour in some places in Alberta in 2018. I am sure I can find the news articles.

George Jones said:
When it was -44.2C (-47.6F), I did make my usual 20-minute walk to a local coffee shop, from where, after sitting dwon with tea and cheese croissant, I catch a bus to work. I didn't do this yesterday, not because of the heat, but because I am still under work-from-home directions from my employer.
Oof! The problem I have with walking in the cold is the annoying amount of clothing that has to be constantly put on and taken off.

I've driven along a freeway and gone from 80°F (26.7°C) air mass into a 40°F (4.4°C) air mass in about 50 m. The forecast did mention a shift in temperature, but I had never experience such a boundary between warm and cool.

Today, in our back yard, in a period of three hours, we went from 104°F (40°C, hot and dusty) to about 70°F (21.1°C, with thundershowers, heavy rain, a flood advisory, and a warning of 1 cm hail in the area). We getting mostly rain.

While waiting in Oakland CA airport this Monday to return home to Las Vegas NV, I shared a table with travelers returning home to Portland OR. They dreaded anticipated high temperatures in excess of 110 F., asking for tips to cope with desert temperatures without home air conditioning. I suggested wearing loose cotton clothing, staying hydrated, operating electric fans and closing window blinds.

Meanwhile, Las Vegas was a breezy 99 F.

Likes Astronuc
Mondayman said:
Temperature dropped 15-20 degrees Celsius in less than an hour in some places in Alberta in 2018.

fd9f7915-def3-42e4-ad90-dc3056645503.png

60km East from here. We can have Arctic air East of the Rockies and warm Pacific air to the West.

One time our windows suddenly all fogged up on the outside. Some warm air had flowed in while the glass was still cold.

What Causes Extreme Temperature Swings in My City?

Temperature swings in a city can be caused by a variety of factors, some of the most frequently asked questions about these swings include:

1. Is it normal for my city to have extreme temperature swings?

It is not uncommon for cities to experience extreme temperature swings, especially in areas with varying climates and weather patterns. These swings can be caused by natural weather patterns, as well as human-made factors.

2. How do natural weather patterns contribute to temperature swings?

Natural weather patterns, such as cold fronts or warm fronts, can cause sudden changes in temperature. For example, a cold front moving into a city can bring colder temperatures and a warm front can bring warmer temperatures, resulting in a temperature swing.

3. Can human-made factors cause extreme temperature swings?

Yes, human-made factors such as urbanization, air pollution, and deforestation can contribute to extreme temperature swings in cities. These factors can alter the natural climate and weather patterns, leading to more frequent and drastic temperature changes.

4. Are extreme temperature swings becoming more common?

Some research suggests that extreme temperature swings are becoming more frequent and intense due to climate change. This is because as the earth's overall temperature increases, it can lead to more extreme weather patterns and temperatures in different regions.

5. How can I prepare for extreme temperature swings in my city?

It is important to be aware of the weather forecast and plan accordingly for extreme temperature swings. This may involve having appropriate clothing for both hot and cold temperatures, staying hydrated, and taking precautions to protect yourself and your home from extreme temperatures. Additionally, being mindful of human-made factors and their impact on temperature swings can help reduce their effects in the long term.