Calculating the Extreme Value of a Functional with Given Boundary Conditions

In summary, the functional A(y) is given by an integral with specific constraints on y. When y is a line segment, A(y) can be calculated to be 48. The extreme value of A(y) for y being a quadratic function is 0, representing a minimum.
skrat

Homework Statement

We have functional ##A(y)=\int_{-1}^{1}(4y+({y}')^2)dx## where ##y\in C^1(\mathbb{R})## and ##y(-1)=1## and ##y(1)=3##.
a) Calculate ##A(y)## if graph for ##y## is line segment.
b) Calculate the extreme value of ##A(y)## for that ##y##. That does it represent?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

Since ##y## is line segment I GUESS it can be written as ##y=kx+n##. The functional is therefore calcualted as:

##A(y)=\int_{-1}^{1}(4y+({y}')^2)dx=A(y)=\int_{-1}^{1}(4kx+4n+16k^2)dx=32k^2+8n##

Because ##y(-1)=1## and ##y(1)=3##, ##k=1## and ##n=2##, so ##A(y)=48##

b)

We have a so called Euler–Lagrange equation. Let's say that ##L=4y+({y}')^2##.

##\frac{\partial L}{\partial y}-\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}\frac{\partial L}{\partial {y}'}=0##

##4-2{y}''=0##

##y=x^2+Cx+D##

For ##y(-1)=1## we get an equation saying that ##D=C## and from ##y(1)=3## another one saying ##C+D=2## therefore ##C=D=1##.

So finally ##y(x)=x^2+x+1## and ##A(y)= 0##. ##y(x)## is quadratic function and extreme value of functional represents minimum, i guess?

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:

Homework Statement

We have functional ##A(y)=\int_{-1}^{1}(4y+({y}')^2)dx## where ##y\in C^1(\mathbb{R})## and ##y(-1)=1## and ##y(1)=3##.
a) Calculate ##A(y)## if graph for ##y## is line segment.
b) Calculate the extreme value of ##A(y)## for that ##y##. That does it represent?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

Since ##y## is line segment I GUESS it can be written as ##y=kx+n##.The functional is therefore calcualted as:

##A(y)=\int_{-1}^{1}(4y+({y}')^2)dx=A(y)=\int_{-1}^{1}(4kx+4n+16k^2)dx=32k^2+8n##

Because ##y(-1)=1## and ##y(1)=3##, ##k=1## and ##n=2##, so ##A(y)=48##

b)

We have a so called Euler–Lagrange equation. Let's say that ##L=4y+({y}')^2##.

##\frac{\partial L}{\partial y}-\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}\frac{\partial L}{\partial {y}'}=0##

##4-2{y}''=0##

##y=x^2+Cx+D##

For ##y(-1)=1## we get an equation saying that ##D=C## and from ##y(1)=3## another one saying ##C+D=2## therefore ##C=D=1##.

So finally ##y(x)=x^2+x+1## and ##A(y)= 0##.

Are you sure? [itex]4y + (y')^2 = 4x^2 + 4x + 4 + (2x + 1)^2 = 2(2x + 1)^2 + 3 > 0[/itex], so [itex]A(x^2 + x + 1) > 0[/itex].

Ahhh, you are right... I made A mistake in my notes.. I used ##4y-({y}')^2##...

Thank you!

1. What is the extreme value of functional?

The extreme value of functional is the maximum or minimum value that a functional can take on within a given set of inputs or parameters. It is the value that produces the most or least desirable outcome according to the functional's criteria.

2. How is the extreme value of functional determined?

The extreme value of functional is determined by finding the critical points of the functional, which are the points where the derivative of the functional is equal to 0. These critical points are then evaluated to determine which one produces the maximum or minimum value.

3. Can the extreme value of functional change?

Yes, the extreme value of functional can change based on the set of inputs or parameters. It is possible for a different set of inputs to produce a new maximum or minimum value for the functional.

4. What is the significance of the extreme value of functional?

The extreme value of functional is significant because it represents the optimal solution based on the functional's criteria. It is often used in optimization problems to find the best possible outcome.

5. How is the extreme value of functional used in real-world applications?

The extreme value of functional is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in engineering, economics, and physics. It can be used to optimize processes and systems, make predictions, and analyze data to make informed decisions.