1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extreme value of functional

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have functional ##A(y)=\int_{-1}^{1}(4y+({y}')^2)dx## where ##y\in C^1(\mathbb{R})## and ##y(-1)=1## and ##y(1)=3##.
    a) Calculate ##A(y)## if graph for ##y## is line segment.
    b) Calculate the extreme value of ##A(y)## for that ##y##. That does it represent?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a)

Since ##y## is line segment I GUESS it can be written as ##y=kx+n##. The functional is therefore calcualted as:

##A(y)=\int_{-1}^{1}(4y+({y}')^2)dx=A(y)=\int_{-1}^{1}(4kx+4n+16k^2)dx=32k^2+8n##

Because ##y(-1)=1## and ##y(1)=3##, ##k=1## and ##n=2##, so ##A(y)=48##

b)

We have a so called Euler–Lagrange equation. Lets say that ##L=4y+({y}')^2##.

##\frac{\partial L}{\partial y}-\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}\frac{\partial L}{\partial {y}'}=0##

##4-2{y}''=0##

##y=x^2+Cx+D##

For ##y(-1)=1## we get an equation saying that ##D=C## and from ##y(1)=3## another one saying ##C+D=2## therefore ##C=D=1##.

So finally ##y(x)=x^2+x+1## and ##A(y)= 0##. ##y(x)## is quadratic function and extreme value of functional represents minimum, i guess?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Are you sure? [itex]4y + (y')^2 = 4x^2 + 4x + 4 + (2x + 1)^2 = 2(2x + 1)^2 + 3 > 0[/itex], so [itex]A(x^2 + x + 1) > 0[/itex].

4. Mar 6, 2014 #3
    Ahhh, you are right... I made A mistake in my notes.. I used ##4y-({y}')^2##....

Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted