Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Extremeley stupid question, but I need to make sure it's right! (liquid supplements)

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1
    Can anyone help me out?

Melatonin:

"Recommended Dose: Take 1 dropper a day at bedtime only."

"Medicinal Ingredients: Each 1 ml dropper contains: 3 mg"

Now for comparison purposes, I have an iodine supplement in liquid form too:

"Each 20 drops (1ml) contains: 1mg of trace mineral..."

"Directions: Take 5-10 drops in water or juice daily."

Okay, good. The iodine supplement was clear enough.

• "Drops" Got it. Right? 1 little squeeze... a droplet.
    • "Droppers"... uuuh, what? The WHOLE plastic thing? Many Many droplets until empty?

This sounds like a stupid question, but for some reason I really don't want to trust my logic in this situation. :redface:

I only want to take <200 mcg of this melatonin stuff.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: Extremeley stupid question, but I need to make sure it's right! (liquid supplemen

1ml is a cubic centimeter, so yes, that is what it is telling you.

4. Apr 11, 2009 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Extremeley stupid question, but I need to make sure it's right! (liquid supplemen

Fill it to the 1 ml line. And before starting any supplements, be sure to consult a physician.

5. Apr 12, 2009 #4

Okay, so I took 2 droplets yesterday night because I've been sleeping soundly at the wrong time of the days during the last couple of days; 5 a.m. to 2 p.m. If I were sleep deprived I would try to sleep at 8 to 10 p.m. but I'd sleep for only about 2-3 hours and I'd be up all night until about 5 a.m. and then I would sleep until I had to wake up at 8:00 a.m. :grumpy:

This stuff I took yesterday at 9:20 p.m., and I woke up like it was a 10 minute nap at 6:30 a.m. today. :surprised:biggrin: Just two droplets, and the bottle advises to take the whole dropper! 3 MG!!! http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/circa...sorders/10-how-to-use-melatonin-correctly.htm

"New evidence shows that adult males only need 150 micrograms"

Yeah, I really should but I'm hard headed.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook