1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extremelly basic doubt

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    Hi. What does that mean when we see:

$$\mathbb{K}$$ what set is that? definately not the reals, integers, etc.
    and
    $$\mathbb{R}^n$$ Is that the reals or what?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2
    the blackboard K is often used to refer to an arbitrary field. If you encounter it somewhere it should be stated what is meant by it.

The blackboard R^n just means n-dimensional real space. So basically (up to linear isomorphism) the unique n-dimensional vector space over the real numbers.

4. Mar 29, 2012 #3
    Thank you!!

5. Mar 29, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A tiny disagreement. R^n is the set of order n-tuples of real numbers. It becomes a vector space only with the convention that "sum" and "scalar multiplication" are "coordinate wise". Yes, that is the "natural" convention but it separate from just "R^n".

6. Mar 29, 2012 #5
    You are right of course. Naturally my response was in terms of the vector space since this is the first definition I saw. You could also assume this and express that you are only talking strictly as the n-tuples of real numbers by mentioning you use the bare set underlying the vector space. I think in most literature the vector space (indeed also the natural topological, norm, inner product, Lie group and manifold (symplectic, smooth, Riemannian)) structure are assumed when used. A thing that might be stated explicitely is any algebra structure.

So immediately when I see that symbol these things I also assume, but it might pay to be a bit more reserved about this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook