Extremely basic chemistry question

In summary: I have?Yes, this equation is not balanced yet. You need to balance it to have the same number of atoms on both sides of the equation.In summary, the conversation discusses a chemical reaction equation and the confusion surrounding the number of oxygen molecules present. The expert explains that the equation is not yet balanced and clarifies that there are no oxygen molecules present. They also provide a brief explanation on the conservation of atoms in chemical reactions.
Sonny92
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help to explain something simple to me, I am lost for answers, and this is something a 7th grader should know I am assuming.

C2H2 + N2O ---> CO2 + N2 + H2O. Now this may seem like a retarded question, but how can there be two oxygen molecules in the completed reaction formula when there's one in the original? Is it because this reaction is somehow producing another oxygen atom? or is there some balancing problems that I have? I am a novice at chemistry, just started taking it, so some clearification would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sorry! Saw no homeworks in here, so sorry for posting it in this section!

Sonny92 said:
C2H2 + N2O ---> CO2 + N2 + H2O

This is not balanced yet. Such a reaction equation is called "skeleton equation".

how can there be two oxygen molecules

There are no oxygen molecules in this reaction equation. Oxygen molecule is O2.

in the completed reaction formula

I guess you mean the reaction equation.

when there's one in the original?

I will repeat: there are no oxygen molecules in the equation.

I guess what you are trying to ask is "How come there is a single atom of oxygen on the left hand side, but three on the right hand side" - and the answer is "this is a skeletal reaction equation, not balanced yet".

Is it because this reaction is somehow producing another oxygen atom?

No chemical reaction is capable of producing atoms - they are always conserved (number of atoms of every kind after the reaction equals number of atoms of every kind before the reaction).

1. What is chemistry?

Chemistry is the branch of science that deals with the composition, structure, properties, and reactions of matter. It is often referred to as the central science because it connects and explains other fields of science like biology, physics, and geology.

2. What is matter?

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. It can exist in three states: solid, liquid, and gas. Matter is made up of atoms, which are the smallest units of an element that retain the properties of that element.

3. What is an element?

An element is a pure substance that is made up of only one type of atom, and it cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means. The periodic table contains all the known elements, and they are arranged by their atomic structure.

4. What is a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction is a process in which one or more substances are converted into different substances by rearranging their atoms. During a chemical reaction, bonds between atoms are broken and formed, resulting in a change in the physical and chemical properties of the substances involved.

5. What is the difference between a compound and a mixture?

A compound is a substance made up of two or more different elements that are chemically bonded together in a fixed ratio. On the other hand, a mixture is a combination of two or more substances that are physically mixed together and can be separated by physical means.