1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extremely confusing integral

1. Oct 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the integral of

[itex]\int\frac{cos(x)}{1+e^{x}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Given that

[itex]\frac{1}{1+e^{x}}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] is an odd function

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried integration by parts, with both u = cos(x) and u = 1+e^x, and both only complicated it even more. I've not learned infinite series and sequences so I'm not sure thats the way.

I did try writing cos(x) as [itex]\frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}[/itex], but I'm not sure what to do after that. I can see that there'd be some hyperbolic stuff in here but again, I'm not sure where exactly to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see how that is relevant unless you are doing a definite integral on an interval like [-a,a].
    I don't think there is an elementary antiderivative.

4. Oct 3, 2012 #3
    Oh jeez I forgot to put the interval. its from -pi/2 to pi/2. I'm really sorry about that

5. Oct 3, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If ##f(x)## is odd what do you know about ##\int_{-a}^a f(x)\, dx##?

6. Oct 3, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, what is [itex]\displaystyle
    \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2}\left(\frac{1}{1+e^{x}}-\frac{1}{2}\right)\cos(x)\,dx\ ?[/itex]

7. Oct 3, 2012 #6
    It would equal 0. So as SammyS put it, it would be [itex]\displaystyle
    \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2}\left(\frac{1}{1+e^{x}}-\frac{1}{2}\right)\cos(x)\,dx\ ?[/itex], where the first term would go to zero and then I'm left to evaluate the last bit which would be -[itex]\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2}\frac{cos(x)}{2}[/itex]?

Is this just the integral of the right side then? So it's just -1?

8. Oct 3, 2012 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. You don't evaluate an integral in pieces like that. You have ##\frac{1}{1+e^{x}}-\frac{1}{2}## multiplied by ##\cos x##. Is ##\cos x ## even, odd, or neither? What about its product with ##\frac{1}{1+e^{x}}-\frac{1}{2}##?

9. Oct 3, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Remember, the hint says that [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+e^{x}}-\frac{1}{2}\ [/itex] is odd (that entire expression).

How do you get [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+e^{x}}-\frac{1}{2}\ [/itex] from [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{1+e^{x}}\ ?[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook