1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extremely tough vectors-planes problem

1. Sep 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A plane has the equation aX + bY + cZ + d = 0. A line L goes from (0,0,0) and crosses the plane at some point. L and plane are orthogonal. express the coordinates of the crossing point P by: a, b, c and d.

2. Relevant equations

I know that [a,b,c] is the directional vector for the line and that

|d|/sqrt(a^2 + b^2 + c^2) is the distance between point P and origo. I know and understand this at least.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm lost lol

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2011 #2
    ah damn, I haven't learned about directional vectors this year. but i was reminded about that stuff by a friend who helped me with this assignment.

So, if I divide [a,b,c] by the length of the directional vector, sqrt(a^2 + b^2 + c^2) and then multiply it by the length of the OP vector, |d|/sqrt(a^2 + b^2 + c^2), I get:

a|d|/a^2 + b^2 + c^2, b|d|/a^2 + b^2 + c^2, c|d|/a^2 + b^2 + c^2 = P.

The answer is supposed to be (-ad/a^2 + b^2 + c^2,-bd/a^2 + b^2 + c^2,-cd/a^2 + b^2 + c^2) = P

*sigh* does this have something to do with all the fools sometimes saying a plane's equation is ax+by+cz -d = 0 instead of ax+by+cz +d = 0 ? or that d is negative if the directional vector is posetive?

has been a really long day at school + after 4 me and i'm sleepy as hell.. hope somebody can fill me in tomorrow

4. Sep 21, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let the line be given by x= ut, y= vt, z= wt (since (0,0,0) satifies that). If the plane and line are orthogonal, then <u, v, w> must be orthogonal to the plane and so must be parallel to <a, b, c>. That is u= ka, v=kb, w= kc. x= kat, y= kbv, z= kct. Putting that into the equation of the plane, [itex]k(a^2+ b^2+ c^2)t+ d= 0[/itex]. [itex]t= -d/(a^2+ b^2+ c^2)[/itex]. Put that into the equation of the line and solve for x, y, and z.

5. Sep 22, 2011 #4
    hmm thanks but could you, or somebody else, answer the question in post 2?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  6. Sep 23, 2011 #5
    Can somebody explain to me the logic of why the answer should be negative [like this: (-ad/a^2 + b^2 + c^2,-bd/a^2 + b^2 + c^2,-cd/a^2 + b^2 + c^2) = P], and not in absolutes [like this (-ad/a^2 + b^2 + c^2,-bd/a^2 + b^2 + c^2,-cd/a^2 + b^2 + c^2) = P]?

I believe the absolutes answer is plain wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook