1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extremes of a variable

1. Sep 12, 2004 #1
    To get a feeling for how extremes of a variable affect an equation, suppose that the acceleration of a body is given by a = [(at^2 - bt)/(t+c)d] + et^2/(t-c)d where a,b,c,d,e are constants : (a) Determine the value of a when t=0. (b) Find the value of a when t>>c.
    (c ) find the value of a when t<<c.

I tried approximation by binomial theorem but I got some meaningless equations (for me ) so I couldnt find such a feeling :biggrin:
    Please help me with this problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2004 #2
    Rather than using an equation, just by looking at your acceleration equation try to see what happens when t >> c and t << c. If you can't visualize it, plug in actual numbers and see what happens.
  4. Sep 13, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know why you would use the binomial theorem.

a= [(at^2 - bt)/(t+c)d] + et^2/(t-c)d
    (Am I correct in assuming that the "a" on both sides is intended?)

Obviously, if t= 0, a= 0.

If t is "much larger than c" (t>> c) we can ignore the c added or subtracted (If you have $10000000, $1 more or less doesn't matter! On the other hand multiplying by a very small number can be important!) and write
    a is very close to [(at^2 - bt)/(t)d] + et^2/(t)d = ((at-b)+et)/d= ((a+e)t-b)/d
    so da= at+ et- b. (d-t)a= et-b so a= (et-b)/(d-t).

I'm going to interpret "t<< c" to mean "t is non-zero but much smaller than c but non-zero.

Now, we "ignore" the t in t-c and t+ c and have a= [(at^2 - bt)/cd] + et^2/(-c)d=
    a(t^2/cd)- bt/cd+ (et^2/cd) so (1- t^2/cd)a= ((cd- t^2)/cd)a= (et^2- bt)/ce and
    a= (et^2- bt)/(cd- t^2).
  5. Sep 13, 2004 #4
    I should have written the "a" in the left hand side as capital, A. Because it is diffrent from the right hand side one.
    Now, probably, I've found such a feeling.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?