Extremizing functionals (Calculus of variations)

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed finding the curve that extremizes a given functional using Euler's equation. The problem was reduced to solving an ODE and at one point, the equation y'^2 = c*y -1 was obtained, requiring a choice of sign for y'. The main problem was then using the boundary conditions to determine the curve, with the suggestion of using variation of parameters and seeking help from a professor or tutor.
phymatast

Homework Statement

Find the curve y(x) that extremizes the functional J[y]= int({1-y'^2}/y,x=a..b) if the end points lie on two non-intersecting circles in the upper half-plane.

Homework Equations

Euler's equation: if F=F(x,y,y') then Euler's equation extremization is found from solving the ODE: F_y - d/dx(F_y') = 0 (where F_y denotes the derivative of F wrt y).

Since F is independant from x the problem reduces to solving y'*F_y' -F= c

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the Euler's equation to solve the given functional.

At some point I get: y'^2 = c*y -1
so if i want to solve for y' I will have to choose wether to give it + or - sign (first confusion).

Suppose the first problem is trivial. I got the extremum to be a parabola with 2 constants.

Now my main problem is to use the boundary conditions to determine the curve y(x).
So y(a) will be varying on the first circle and y(b) on the second.
I tried to read in my text (Gelfand and Fomin) but I couldn't just solve it.

Any help :)?

Thanks,
Joe

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your progress so far on solving the given functional. It seems like you have a good understanding of the basic principles involved in finding the extremum of a functional using Euler's equation.

Regarding your first confusion about choosing the sign for y', it is important to remember that the sign of y' does not affect the overall shape of the curve, but rather the direction in which the curve is traced. In this case, the given functional is symmetric about the x-axis, so the sign of y' will not have a significant impact on the solution.

As for your main problem of using the boundary conditions to determine the curve y(x), you are on the right track. The boundary conditions will help to determine the specific values of the constants in the parabola that you have found. This can be done by substituting the values of y(a) and y(b) into the equation for y(x) and solving for the constants.

If you are still having trouble, I would recommend looking into the method of variation of parameters, which can be used to solve boundary value problems involving non-linear differential equations like the one you are working with. Additionally, seeking help from a professor or a tutor may also be beneficial in guiding you towards a solution.

Best of luck with your work!

1. What is the purpose of extremizing functionals in the calculus of variations?

The purpose of extremizing functionals is to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a particular functional. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and physics, as it allows for the optimization of various quantities such as energy, area, or time.

2. How is the calculus of variations related to traditional calculus?

The calculus of variations is an extension of traditional calculus that deals with finding the function that minimizes or maximizes a functional, rather than a single variable function. It involves using techniques such as the Euler-Lagrange equation to find the extreme values of functionals.

3. What are some real-world applications of the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations is used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be applied to problems involving optimization, such as finding the most efficient path for a particle to travel, or the shape of a soap bubble that minimizes surface tension.

4. Can the calculus of variations be applied to functions with multiple variables?

Yes, the calculus of variations can be applied to functions with multiple variables, known as multivariate calculus of variations. This involves finding the function that minimizes or maximizes a functional with respect to multiple variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations can be a complex and time-consuming process, especially for functions with multiple variables. It also requires a certain level of mathematical knowledge and skill to apply effectively. Additionally, it may not always provide a unique solution, and some problems may not have a solution at all.