What is the optimal ratio of R/H to minimize the energy for a fixed volume?

• Thread starter grandpa2390
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the problem is finding a ratio of R/H that will minimize the energy of a particle inside a right circular cylinder with a fixed volume. The ground state energy is given by the formula E = C_1/R^2 + C_2/H^2, where C_1 and C_2 are constants. The student is unsure of how to approach the problem and attempts to rewrite the height and radius in terms of x and y. They also consider using a similar problem that maximizes volume for a right circular cylinder. Eventually, they come to the conclusion that the ratio should be 1.85R = H.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

I can not find anything online or in my textbooks to help me with extremizing. please help...

I need to find a ratio of R/H that will minimize the energy for a fixed volume
I am given the ground state energy of a particle that is inside a right circular cylinder. and has a height H and radius R.

Homework Equations

ground state energy http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=E = C_1/R^2 + C_2/H^2
C_1 is http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=C_1 = h^2 / (2m) * (2.4048)^2
C_2 is http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=C_2 = h^2 / (2m) * pi^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the problem or how to begin. I have never done anything with energy of particles in cylinders. I don't know how ground state energy is affected by the height and radius of the container. I am sure everything I need is right in front of me, but I don't understand. I am not looking for someone to just give me the answer, but to walk me through it please. Please help!

I feel like I should start by rewriting h and r in terms of x and y
h = ds = sqrt (1 + x'^2)dy
and r...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I have something. I found a similar problem that find the ratio R to H that maximizes volume for a right circular cylinder... maybe I can do that and just swap the formula E for the volume formula?

but would I plug in C1 and C2 at the beginning, or can I just wait till the end? what would i do with that?

I attempted to do a switcheroo and I got 1.2R = H

whoops I forgot that volume is fixed.
brb

ok I got 1.85R = H

Last edited:

The optimal ratio of R/H to minimize the energy for a fixed volume can be found by using the principles of variational calculus and the Euler-Lagrange equation. This technique is commonly used in physics to find the extremum of a functional, which in this case is the ground state energy.

To begin, we need to understand the physical meaning of the ground state energy. The ground state energy is the lowest possible energy that a particle can have in a given system. In this case, the system is a right circular cylinder with a fixed volume. The height and radius of the cylinder will determine the possible energy states of the particle.

Using the given equations for the ground state energy, we can rewrite the functional as:

E = h^2/[2mR^2(2.4048)^2] + h^2/[2mH^2(pi)^2]

Now, we can define the functional F as:

F = E - λ(V - πR^2H)

where λ is a Lagrange multiplier and V is the fixed volume of the cylinder.

Next, we need to find the Euler-Lagrange equation for F, which is given by:

∂F/∂R - d/dx(∂F/∂R') + ∂F/∂H - d/dy(∂F/∂H') = 0

where R' and H' are the derivatives of R and H with respect to x and y, respectively.

Solving this equation will give us the optimal values of R and H that will minimize the energy for a fixed volume. Once we have these values, we can then find the ratio R/H that will give us the minimum energy.

Note that this is a general approach and the exact steps may vary depending on the specific problem and equations given. It is important to carefully define the functional and use the appropriate Euler-Lagrange equation. I hope this helps in understanding how to approach this problem.

1. What is meant by "extremizing the energy" in science?

"Extremizing the energy" refers to the process of finding the minimum or maximum value of a system's energy. This is often done in order to understand the behavior and stability of the system.

2. Why is extremizing the energy important in scientific research?

Extremizing the energy is important because it allows scientists to predict the behavior and stability of systems, and make informed decisions about how to manipulate or control them. It also helps to identify the most efficient and stable configurations for a system.

3. How is extremizing the energy related to the concept of equilibrium?

The concept of equilibrium is based on the idea that a system will naturally seek out the state of minimum energy. Extremizing the energy allows scientists to calculate the energy levels of a system and determine its equilibrium state.

4. What are some common methods for extremizing the energy in scientific research?

Common methods for extremizing the energy include mathematical optimization techniques, such as the calculus of variations, and numerical methods, such as gradient descent. Physical laws and principles, such as conservation of energy and the laws of thermodynamics, are also used to extremize energy in many scientific fields.

5. Are there any limitations to extremizing the energy in scientific research?

Yes, there are limitations to extremizing the energy in scientific research. Some systems may be too complex to accurately calculate the energy levels, and external factors such as noise and experimental error can also affect the results. Additionally, extremizing the energy assumes that the system is in a state of equilibrium, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.