Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eye exam

1. Nov 26, 2008 #1
    aaarg I think I need to get my eyes checked...pahhh. I have noticed over the last few months the vision in my left eye is a lil fuzzy and my depth perception is fading a bit. Not so good in my line of work. I have not had the eyes checked in years and I was wondering what new and exciting things I should look for when I do get them done. Also I have to pull my glasses down a bit on my nose when I read. Bugger. I guess with my eyes in transition now would not be a good time for laser surgery. It does distress me a bit as the eyes are both already at minus 9 diopters and the damned glasses must have high refractory plastic lenses. zeiss glass has a higher refrectory index but is not legal in Canada as it can shatter when hit. Sooo I must go to the eye Doc.... What should I look for to ensure good care???

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2008 #2

turbo

Gold Member

If you can see equally well with both eyes, depth perception will be OK. If one eye starts to drift, the other will take over the bulk of the duties and stereoscopic advantages will suffer. At -9, you need a lot of correction, so your optician will have to fit the new glasses very carefully - even slight off-axis fitting will cause you no end of problems.

Pulling glasses down when you read might be a symptom of loss of close focus (presbyopia) and you should expect that your eye doctor will address that. As a board-certified optician, I have worked with people in your position, and I advise you to seek out an eye doctor with an in-house optician lab that will stand behind their work. You cannot take your prescription to an eyeglass-outlet and expect proper work. Most of the "opticians" in such places have learned how to edge lenses and put them in frames with very little understanding of optics and no understanding on optical physiology. They use cookbook procedures and are expected to crank out volume, not quality. Don't skimp on your eyes.

4. Nov 26, 2008 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IMO you should go to an optpmetrists that can check for more than just your vision. Since it's been a long time since you've seen anyone about your eyes.

You woud need to talk to the doctor about laser surgery. If you just need glasses for reading as a result of becoming older, then laser surgery can't correct that. As far as I know.

5. Nov 26, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just by looking at your avatar, you should have the doc look at that red rash around your eye :tongue2: .

Seriously, as long as the person you see has a doctorate in optometry, you should be in fine hands.

6. Nov 26, 2008 #5

turbo

Gold Member

You're right. Laser surgery won't correct for presbyopia. The best correction for that is a pair of inexpensive reading glasses, because once the eyes' lenses have started stiffening, the near-field correction gets higher and higher with age and it's pretty inexpensive to go to the drug store and get another pair of reading glasses.

Actually, if it is possible, I would recommend getting one's eyes examined by an ophthalmologist instead of an optometrist, because they are trained to recognize and treat medical conditions. the Optometrist might recognize a medical condition and give a referral, but is not licensed to perform medical procedures.

7. Nov 26, 2008 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Glasses are a big con, i was told i needed glasses years ago, but ny eyes asapted and i stll have 10 10 vissiom.

8. Nov 26, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:rofl:

9. Nov 27, 2008 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. I had that in mind when posting.

10. Nov 27, 2008 #9
    Thanks for the info guys and gals. What is the diff between an opthamologist and an optometrist?

11. Nov 27, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor that is licensed to perform medical procedures (including surgeries), prescribe medications, etc. An optometrist is trained to do eye exams and prescribe corrective lenses and may or may not be certified to fit contact lenses. I used to make up a lot of PowerPoint presentations for the ophthalmologists that I worked for, so they could show them at conferences training optometrists to detect medical conditions and refer patients for treatment.

If you can get a regular eye-doctor who is an ophthalmologist, and who has an in-house optician's shop, you're in the best hands. Do not try to save money by walking out with a prescription, and taking it to a "Glasses-R-Us" chain. With the level of correction you require, even a tiny misalignment of the optical centers or planes of the lenses can result in eye strain and continued problems. For someone needing a diopter or two of correction, not such a big deal. You need to patronize a practice with board-certified optician(s) on staff so that your eyeglasses will accurately correct your vision.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  12. Nov 27, 2008 #11
    Thanks Turbo. I will try to search one out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?