1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eye of hurricane

1. Oct 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The eye of a hurricane passes over Grand Bahama Island. It is moving in a direction 60.0° north of west with a speed of v1 = 37.0 km/h. Exactly three hours later, the course of the hurricane shifts due north, and its speed slows to v2 = 27.0 km/h, as shown in Figure 3-30. How far from Grand Bahama, in kilometers, is the hurricane 4.50 h after it passes over the island?

2. Relevant equations

sine, cosine
    3. The attempt at a solution

i ended up getting 104 km using tangent to find the angle then using the angle and opposite to find adgacent which i got 104. the sides were 111km and 40.5 km after multiplying with the velocity conversion.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2007 #2
    I don't think you need to find the angle of anything. I agree that the total distances traveled are 111 and 40.5. Keep in mind that these have a certain direction. The real problem is the first one because it has north and west components. If you can figure out what those are, then you can add the second displacement to the north component. With the total north and west displacements, you can use the pythagorean theorem to find the total distance away.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?