Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eye of the beholder

1. Jul 21, 2005 #1
    What if I said the only reason there is order and events is because we precieve it that way.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And what if I say that if that is ALL that you can say, then it does not belong in the physics section of PF?

Zz.

4. Jul 21, 2005 #3

ohwilleke

Gold Member

I'd say you are wrong.

5. Jul 21, 2005 #4
    You are probably right about the posting area, though the reason I posted the thread here is because of the "Eye of the beholder" being a major part of String Theory. The reason I started this was to see if there were any explanations into the infinite parallel universes idea. Several people have said that there are an infinite number of universes with slight variances. Now if we are in one of them are we condemned to follow a certain path through life. Or is it possible that are choices are not predetermined.

6. Jul 21, 2005 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What you have said has more to do with ONE version of a slew of philosophical interpretation of QM. Not only does it not belong in String theory (even though you MAY have read it in a pop-sci string theory book), it doesn't belong in the Physics section. I'm moving this to the philosophy section...... somewhere.

Zz.

7. Jul 22, 2005 #6
    This is a form of Kant's transcedental idealism. It has some power, indeed there is a problem with justifying the empirical basis of science, but I don't think that currently it is the first choice program, deserving to be held as the corrigible basis for science (that is provisionally). I've developed this subject in more detail here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?