Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eye Strain and Eyeball Length

1. Nov 19, 2014 #1
    Ever since I learned that short-sightedness is due to the eyeball being too long, and far-sightedness is due to the eyeball being too short, I've wondered what the point of avoiding eye strain is. How could straining the eyes possibly have the effect of changing the length of the eyeball? By strain I mean both trying to see things very far away and close-up; and the continued use of eyes when they are tired.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

While there may be a correlation, the usual cause attributed to such is age related. Muscle stress may be essential to proper function of the muscle, including muscles of the eye.

You do know that strain is dl/l?

4. Nov 19, 2014 #3
    I think Doug is correct, myopia often develops with age. As far as I know, normal eye strain (simply focusing on objects for a rather long time) won't damage the eyes or change their anatomy in any way. Apparently however, straining on distances at short range (aka a computer screen) can result in the eye to lengthen and thus near nearsightedness to progress, but I wouldn't know if that is for sure o_O. If it is, then I should probably get off of the internet so I don't become blind.. Hope this helps.

5. Nov 19, 2014 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Eyestrain appears unrelated to the shape of the eyeball- it seems to be fatigue in the muscle that controls blinking:

http://journals.lww.com/optvissci/A...ed_Pain_Induced_by_Visually_Demanding.13.aspx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook