Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

< f | A f >^2 = < f | A^2 f >

1. May 12, 2005 #1
    where A is arbitrary operator (not only ermiton), f is function, that < f | f > = 1. How to prove, that f is eigenfunction of operator A?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try to rewrite the equation.

4. May 12, 2005 #3
    i've prooved it when operator is ermiton, but i can't proove for arbitrary operator...

5. May 12, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you know about this baby [itex] |f\rangle\langle f| [/itex]...?

Daniel.

6. May 12, 2005 #5
    i've never used it before.

7. May 12, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \langle f|f\rangle =1 \Rightarrow |f\rangle\langle f|f\rangle =|f\rangle \Rightarrow |f\rangle\langle f|=\hat{1} [/tex]

Does that help...?

Daniel.

8. May 12, 2005 #7
    Thank you. I've prooved it with your help. The puzzle is solved :smile:

9. May 12, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some details:

1.[itex] |f\rangle\langle f| [/itex] is called the projector onto the vector [itex] |f\rangle [/itex].I assumed the Hilbert subspace is unidimensional and that the basis is formed by this vector [itex] |f\rangle [/itex].Therefore,the projector is generaly ~ to the unit operator on this subspace,but in this case,due to the orthonormalization,it coincides with the unit operator.

2.It's called HERMITEAN (or symmetric) operator,after the name of the 19-th cent.French mathematician Charles Hérmite.:wink:

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?