1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

< f | A f >^2 = < f | A^2 f >

1. May 12, 2005 #1
    where A is arbitrary operator (not only ermiton), f is function, that < f | f > = 1. How to prove, that f is eigenfunction of operator A?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try to rewrite the equation.

4. May 12, 2005 #3
    i've prooved it when operator is ermiton, but i can't proove for arbitrary operator...

5. May 12, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you know about this baby [itex] |f\rangle\langle f| [/itex]...?

Daniel.

6. May 12, 2005 #5
    i've never used it before.

7. May 12, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \langle f|f\rangle =1 \Rightarrow |f\rangle\langle f|f\rangle =|f\rangle \Rightarrow |f\rangle\langle f|=\hat{1} [/tex]

Does that help...?

Daniel.

8. May 12, 2005 #7
    Thank you. I've prooved it with your help. The puzzle is solved :smile:

9. May 12, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some details:

1.[itex] |f\rangle\langle f| [/itex] is called the projector onto the vector [itex] |f\rangle [/itex].I assumed the Hilbert subspace is unidimensional and that the basis is formed by this vector [itex] |f\rangle [/itex].Therefore,the projector is generaly ~ to the unit operator on this subspace,but in this case,due to the orthonormalization,it coincides with the unit operator.

2.It's called HERMITEAN (or symmetric) operator,after the name of the 19-th cent.French mathematician Charles Hérmite.:wink:

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?