What is the derivative of f(e^(2x)) with respect to x?

• Thread starter Erzeon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the question asked for the derivative of a differentiable function f(e^(2x)) with respect to x and the choices given were A. 2e^(2x) * f'(x) B. e^(2x) * f'(x) C. 2e^(2x) * f'(e^(2x)) D. 2 * f'(e^(2x)) E. f'(e^(2x)). The correct answer is E. The rule for the transformed graph of the function y=x^3 is given as y=(2x+2)^3. Some students initially selected D, but the correct answer is E due to the order of the transformations.
Erzeon
I just did the first part of two final high school year exams. And I came across this question that stumped me. It said:
* means multiplication
Let f:R --> R be a differentiable function. For all real values of x, the derivative of f(e^(2x)) with respect to x will be equal to:

A. 2e^(2x) * f '(x)
B. e^(2x) * f '(x)
C. 2e^(2x) * f '(e^(2x))
D. 2 * f '(e^(2x))
E. f '(e^(2x))

Having never come across these types of questions before, I selected E. Some of my friends selected C but none of us are really sure because it hasn't been in any of the past papers from 1994-2004. If it's not E, why can't it be E?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens there is:{F(e^(2x))'= F'(x)d(e^(2x)=F'(x)*2e^(2x)

It can't be E because of the chain rule D(F(g(x))=F'(g(x)*g'(x).

/cry One mark lost

I did that exam too, and don't worry about losing 1 mark, I've lost 4 already! :(

it would seem I got this question wrong as well, I just couldn't think. I hadn't seen anything like that before either in practice exams, and so just assumed it was a simple trick question and put E.

I got #22 and #27 wrong in multiple choice, most likely #15 as well because I just know nothing about dilation etc., and forgot to state the domain of the inverse in the short answer. Does "specify the rule" or whatever the instruction was imply that you need the domain?

I just put down B for #27 without even looking at choice A, I'm so stupid.

I just hope i haven't lost any more than 4, because after that it isn't an A+ I think.

Just to clear up #15 with the help of some people here, it's probably obvious to others but not to me.

-The graph of the function with rule y=x^3 is transformed as follows:
a translation of-2 units parallel to the x-axis
and then
a dilation by a factor of 1/2 from the y-axis

The rule of the function corresponding to the transformed graph is

A. y= (1/2)(x-2)^3
B. y=2(x-2)^3
C. y=((x/2)+2)^3
D. y=2(x+2)^3
E y= (2x+2)^3

I selected D, but as i stated, i haven't read that chapter of the textbook :p

Last edited:
its E, y=(2x+2)^3, 27 was also hard, luckily i found out how to do it. Did you also simplify your derivative from ln(3) * e^(x*ln(3)) to 3^(x) * ln(3), its the last question of the short answers. I didn't and hopefully they don't deduct marks for not simplifying.

I left it like that as well, I really don't think they'd take a mark off for not simplifying it, atleast they better not!

laaah said:
Just to clear up #15 with the help of some people here, it's probably obvious to others but not to me.
-The graph of the function with rule y=x^3 is transformed as follows:
a translation of-2 units parallel to the x-axis
and then
a dilation by a factor of 1/2 from the y-axis
The rule of the function corresponding to the transformed graph is
A. y= (1/2)(x-2)^3
B. y=2(x-2)^3
C. y=((x/2)+2)^3
D. y=2(x+2)^3
E y= (2x+2)^3
I selected D, but as i stated, i haven't read that chapter of the textbook :p

laaah, it would have been "D" if they did the translation after the dialation, but since the dilation is done last then the answer is "E" as erzeon said.

In regards to the first post i was under the impression that it answer was C. That is dy/dx=du/dx*dy/du, where u is e^(2x) . As in the case of the derivative of cos( e^(x) ), which is - 2e^(2x)*sin (e^(2x)).

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the derivative of F(e^(2x))?

The formula for finding the derivative of F(e^(2x)) is f'(x) = 2e^(2x).

2. How do you solve for the derivative of F(e^(2x))?

To solve for the derivative of F(e^(2x)), you can use the power rule and chain rule. First, bring down the exponent of e^(2x) to the front, resulting in 2e^(2x). Then, multiply by the derivative of the exponent, which is 2x. This gives us the final answer of f'(x) = 2e^(2x).

3. Can the derivative of F(e^(2x)) be simplified further?

Yes, the derivative of F(e^(2x)) can be simplified to f'(x) = 2e^(2x). This is the simplest form of the derivative and cannot be simplified any further.

4. What is the significance of the derivative of F(e^(2x))?

The derivative of F(e^(2x)) represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at any given point. It tells us how much the function is changing at that specific point and can be used to find the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

5. Can the derivative of F(e^(2x)) be negative?

Yes, the derivative of F(e^(2x)) can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that specific point. However, if the derivative is negative at all points, it means that the function is decreasing overall. If the derivative is positive at all points, it means that the function is increasing overall. A derivative of 0 indicates that the function is constant.