1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F(f^-1) = x

1. Feb 7, 2006 #1
    can anybody pls give me an example of this f(f^-1) = x??
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2006 #2
    It's the definition of the inverse of a function f(x). For example, y = 2x and y^-1 = 1/2 x
  4. Feb 7, 2006 #3
    how about if i want to write it using sin x??
  5. Feb 7, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Although I would say f(f-1(x))= x. You're missing the "x" on the left side!

"arcsine" is defined as the inverse of sine (that's why your calculator has them paired). sin(arcsin(x))= x.

There are "technical" problems. Since sin(x) is not "one-to-one" ([itex]sin(\pi)= 0= sin(0)[/itex]) there can't be a true inverse (a function can't return both 0 and [itex]\pi[/itex] for x= 0). What is normally done is restrict the sine function to x=0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] (which is really a different function than sine defined for all x) so that arcsin returns the "principal value"- the value between 0 and [itex]\pi[/itex].
  6. Feb 8, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

We don't really restrict sin function to x = 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex].
    We, however, restrict sin function to [tex]x = -\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] to [tex]x = \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]. :)
  7. Feb 8, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oops! It's cosine that is restricted to "between 0 and [itex]\pi[/itex]!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?