Solving ODEs for Velocity & Limiting Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of motion for a body subject to acceleration due to gravity and drag, with a mass of m and initial speed of zero at time t=0. The equation is written as f=m(dv/dt)=-mg-mkv, with missing values on the m(dv/dt) side. The conversation also mentions calculating the velocity as a function of time and the limiting velocity at large time, with a reminder that homework should not be posted on this platform.
keelejody
i have a question but no mark scheme so i can't see where I am going wrong. a mass, m, is dropped with speed zero from point O at time t=0 after time t it has traveled x. the body is subject to acceleration due to gravity and drag -mkv.

(A) write the equation of motion:

ok so i know v=dx/dt

and I've said f=m(dv/dt)

so f=m(dv/dt)=-mg-mkv? because theyre opposite

I can't think what else to write, since this is 5 marks... unless i need sort this in terms of ODE's where g and k are constants?

(B) calculate velocity as a function of time, and the limiting velocity at very large time.

so i need v(t)? from v=dx/dt and this is where i use ODE's and work out V.

again i can't see where the marks come from this is worth 8.

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you are missing half of your equation here

"f=m(dv/dt)=-mg-mkv"

"-mg-mkv" is the f side of the equation, because those are the forces acting on it. You are missing the values for the m(dv/dt) side.

F = m(dv/dt)
-mg-mkv = ?

Also, you aren't supposed to post homework here, there is a special thread for that.

thanks I am still new to stuff and thanks :cool:

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable.

2. How do you solve ODEs for velocity?

To solve ODEs for velocity, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the velocity variable and then solving for it.

3. Why is it important to solve ODEs for velocity?

Solving ODEs for velocity is important in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering, as it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of systems over time. It also helps us understand and analyze real-world phenomena, such as the motion of objects or the flow of fluids.

4. What is limiting velocity?

Limiting velocity, also known as terminal velocity, is the maximum velocity that an object can attain when falling through a fluid due to the balance between the gravitational force and the drag force. It is an important concept in fluid dynamics and is influenced by factors such as the object's shape and the fluid's viscosity.

5. How do you find the limiting velocity from an ODE?

To find the limiting velocity from an ODE, you can set the velocity equal to the limiting velocity and solve for the other variables in the equation. You can also use the concept of limiting velocity to determine the behavior of the system over time and make predictions about its motion.