1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F = MA 2009 #16 (Simple Question about Springs)

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    https://aapt.org/physicsteam/2010/upload/2009_F-maSolutions.pdf

2. Relevant equations
    ω = √(k/m)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So in this problem, I thought that given two identical masses on each side (that exert let's say Force F each), the net tension is not 2F, but F. This the force that is resisted is F = - kx, not twice that. I thought that there was nothing special about k, but apparently I'm wrong. Also, I thought given two objects, the mass is 2m; yielding the following answer:
    √(k/2m) - The wrong answer.

The correct one is :
    √(2k/m)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Imagine the blocks sitting at rest with the spring unstretched so each block is at its equilibrium position. Think about how you would start the system oscillating so that each mass oscillates about its equilibrium position with the midpoint of the spring always staying at rest.

If at some moment of the oscillation the block on the right is a distance x to the right of its equilibrium position, where is the other block in relation to its equilibrium position? How much is the spring stretched in terms of x? How would you write the force that the spring exerts on the right-hand block in terms of x?

4. Jan 29, 2013 #3
    Well if A is the amplitude, I would think that as one block is X to the right, the other would be A-X to the left. The spring is stretched by A-X + X = A? The force that the spring exerts on the right-hand block I'm not sure how to write.

5. Jan 29, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If one block has moved 0.1 m from its equilbrium position, how far has the other block moved from its equilibrium position? How much has the spring stretched?

6. Jan 29, 2013 #5
    The other block compresses .1m?

7. Jan 29, 2013 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, for the .1 m. Not sure about the interpretation of "compresses". Consider the figure below which shows the equilibrium position of each mass. If at some instant block B happens to be displaced a distance x to the right of its equilibrium position as shown, then where is block A at this instant in relation to its equilibrium position?

Attached Files:

8. Jan 29, 2013 #7
    To the right of its EP.

9. Jan 29, 2013 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. If both blocks move to the right by the same distance, then the whole system simply displaces to the right with no change in the amount of stretch of the spring. That would not correspond to oscillatory motion of the system.

10. Jan 29, 2013 #9
    Whoops. Where can I study oscillatory motion with two masses - my text is no help.

Must it move x to the left?

11. Jan 29, 2013 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it must move to the left.

Imagine starting the system oscillating by simultaneously pulling block A to the left a certain distance and block B to the right the same distance and letting them go at the same instant. Can you visualize what the system will do after that?

12. Jan 29, 2013 #11
    They will oscillate between getting relatively close to relatively far away

13. Jan 29, 2013 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, if block B has displaced a distance x to the right of its equilibrium position, block A will have displaced a distance x to the left of its equilibrium position. How much has the spring stretched from its natural length? (Express in terms of x.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook