Calculating Velocity & Retarding Force of Dropped Mass

In summary, a metal ball of mass 0.50 kg was dropped from the top of a vertical cliff of height 90m and hit the beach below, penetrating a depth of 6.0cm. Using the SUVAT equation, the final velocity was calculated to be 42ms-1. For the (average) retarding force of the sand, the net force can be found by using the same equation with the final velocity from part a, and solving for the required acceleration. This shows that the acceleration is greater than gravity due to the short stopping distance.
Apothem

Homework Statement

"A metal ball of mass 0.50 kg is dropped from the top of a vertical cliff of height 90m. When it hits the beach below it penetrates at a depth of 6.0cm. Calculate:
a) the velocity of the ball just as it hits the sand
b) the (average) retarding force of the sand

Homework Equations

SUVAT equation: v2=u2+2as
Newton's Second Law: F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) I used suvat (s=90m, u=0ms-1, v=v ,a=9.81ms-2 , t=t) and used the suvat equation to calculate the final velocity as 42ms-1

For part b) I am unsure, do I just use F=ma (with m=0.50kg and a=9.81ms-2) to get an answer of 4.91N, or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apothem said:

Homework Statement

"A metal ball of mass 0.50 kg is dropped from the top of a vertical cliff of height 90m. When it hits the beach below it penetrates at a depth of 6.0cm. Calculate:

Homework Equations

For part a) I used suvat (s=90m, u=0ms-1, v=v ,a=9.81ms-2 , t=t) and used the suvat equation to calculate the final velocity as 42ms-1

For part b) I am unsure, do I just use F=ma (with m=0.50kg and a=9.81ms-2) to get an answer of 4.91N, or am I missing something?

For part b, no, it's not just the case that a = g. That would be true only if the object were in free fall (meaning gravity is the only force acting). Once it hits the ground and starts burrowing, this is no longer true. There is another force (from the ground).

What you have to do is apply the same equation as you did for part a, this time with u = the v you calculated from part a, and v = 0 since it comes to rest. From this you can figure out what acceleration is *required* in order to slow the object down over that distance. This required acceleration tells you the net force.

Likes 1 person
Apothem said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Part a) is alright .

For Part b) the ball starts with an initial velocity 42ms-1 and ends up being at rest covering a distance of 6.0 cm .During the motion the ball is under the influence of two forces,force of gravity and the retarding force of the sand .Using F=Ma with a=9.81 is incorrect. Value of 'a' can be calculated using SUVAT equations .Now using F=Ma will give you the net force .

Last edited:
You should find that a > g due to the very short stopping distance.

I would say that your approach for part a) is correct. You used the appropriate equation and input the given values to calculate the final velocity of the ball. However, for part b), you are indeed missing something. The retarding force of the sand is not simply the force of gravity (9.81N) acting on the ball. In this scenario, the sand exerts a force on the ball that opposes its motion and causes it to decelerate as it penetrates the sand. This force is known as the retarding force. To calculate it, you can use the formula F=ma, where m is the mass of the ball and a is the deceleration due to the retarding force. The deceleration can be calculated by using the SUVAT equation with the final velocity of the ball (from part a) and the distance the ball penetrates into the sand (6.0cm or 0.06m). Once you have the deceleration, you can plug it into F=ma to calculate the retarding force. This force will be less than the force of gravity acting on the ball, as the sand is not strong enough to completely stop the ball's motion. It is important to note that this calculation assumes that the sand exerts a constant retarding force on the ball throughout its penetration. In reality, the force may vary depending on the depth of penetration and other factors.

What is the formula for calculating velocity of a dropped mass?

The formula for calculating velocity of a dropped mass is v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the mass is dropped in meters.

How do I calculate the retarding force of a dropped mass?

The retarding force of a dropped mass can be calculated using the formula F = mg - kv, where F is the retarding force in Newtons, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), k is the drag coefficient, and v is the velocity of the object in meters per second.

What is the drag coefficient and how does it affect the retarding force?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of drag force experienced by an object moving through a fluid. It is affected by factors such as the shape and size of the object, the fluid's viscosity, and the object's velocity. A higher drag coefficient will result in a higher retarding force on the object.

Can the retarding force be greater than the weight of the dropped mass?

Yes, it is possible for the retarding force to be greater than the weight of the dropped mass. This can occur when the object is traveling at a high velocity or has a high drag coefficient. In this case, the object will experience a sudden decrease in velocity, leading to a larger retarding force.

What are some applications of calculating the velocity and retarding force of a dropped mass?

Calculating the velocity and retarding force of a dropped mass can be useful in a variety of fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It can help in designing structures that can withstand impacts, understanding the effects of air resistance on moving objects, and analyzing the performance of athletes in sports like high jump or pole vault.