Does Bouyant Force Affect Scale Readings?

In summary, the scale reading will be greater than 100N after the block is submerged in water. This is because the buoyant force and tension of the scale will add up to 8N, which is equivalent to the weight of the water displaced by the block. Therefore, the total weight on the scale will be 108N. This is in line with the concept of buoyancy and Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration.
twilos

Homework Statement

Before you submerge a block (25N) in water, you place the container of water on a scale. The scale reads 100N.

You then immerse the block in the water, the block is also hung on a scale that reads 17N. Is the scale reading greater than, less than, or equal to 100N? ( Assume that the object does not touch the sides or bottom of the container at all.)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/twilos/NewBitmapImage-4.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the scale will read more even though if you do a Free Body Diagram of the Block its:

Bouyant Force + Tension of Scale - Weight = 0
Bouyant force = Weight - Tension
Bouyant force = 25N - 17N = 8N UpWard

So the Weight of the block is canceled out by the Bouyant Force + Tension. However if you think of it intuitively, if the tension of the block is not fully supporting the block itself the bouyant force will take into account weighing down the scale at the bottom therefore it will be Greater than the 100N originally. But maybe I am wrong can someone help me out this is very tricky =) Thanks again

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have it.

The block displaces water. 8N worth of water. It's as though there is an additional 8N worth of water in the box isn't it? So ...

so i am right!? awesome it does weigh more because the water displaced is 8N worth also right?

1. What is the equation for buoyancy?

The equation for buoyancy is FB = ρfluid * V * g, where ρfluid is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object submerged in the fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does buoyancy affect the F=MA equation?

Buoyancy is a force that acts in the opposite direction of gravity on an object submerged in a fluid. This means that it can affect the mass and acceleration of the object, and therefore the overall force acting on the object, as described by the equation F = M * (A - g).

3. Can buoyancy ever result in a negative force?

No, buoyancy can never result in a negative force. It is always a positive force acting in the opposite direction of gravity.

4. How does the density of the fluid affect buoyancy?

The density of the fluid has a direct impact on the buoyant force acting on an object. The higher the density of the fluid, the greater the buoyant force will be.

5. How does the volume of the object affect buoyancy?

The volume of the object submerged in the fluid also has a direct impact on the buoyant force. The greater the volume of the object, the greater the buoyant force will be.