Projectile F=ma: -475 N & 3.00x10^3m/s^2 calc force

In summary, to give a projectile weighing -475 N an acceleration of 3.00x10^3m/s^2, a force of 145000 N is required. It is important to note that if the applied force is horizontal, the equation is F=ma. However, if the applied force is vertical, the equation is F=m(a+g).
balllla

Homework Statement

what force is required to give a projectile weighing -475 N an acceleration of 3.00x10^3m/s^2

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

f=ma
-175 N=m (-9.81m/s^2)
m=48.4 Kg

f=ma
f=(48.4kg)(3.00x10^3m/s^2)
f=145000 N

hi thanks so much for your help, I'm just wondering if I have completed this correct. I'm am just confused because it says that the projectile weighs -475 N so I have to change that into it's mass then into it's force.

thank you. have a good night.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like it's right.

This is correct if the applied force F is horizontal. If the applied force F is vertical (upward, against weight), then

[tex]\sum[/tex]F = F - mg = ma
F = m(a + g)

1. What is the formula for calculating force in a projectile motion?

The formula for calculating force in a projectile motion is F=ma, where F represents the force, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the acceleration.

2. Can you explain the units in the given values of "-475 N & 3.00x10^3m/s^2"?

The unit N stands for Newton, which is the unit of force in the International System of Units (SI). The unit m/s^2 stands for meters per second squared, which is the unit of acceleration in SI.

3. How do I calculate force if I am given the mass and acceleration of a projectile?

To calculate force in a projectile motion, you can use the formula F=ma, where m represents the mass of the object and a represents the acceleration.

4. What is the significance of a negative value in the force calculation?

A negative value in the force calculation indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the motion. In other words, the force is acting against the direction of the projectile's velocity.

5. Is the force the only factor that affects the projectile's motion?

No, the force is not the only factor that affects the projectile's motion. Other factors such as air resistance, gravity, and initial velocity also play a role in determining the trajectory of a projectile.