1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F=ma of a race car

1. Oct 24, 2006 #1
    explain the following in f=ma
    a)a racing car has a powerful engine and is made of storng but light weight material

b)a car with a small engine can still accelerate rapidly

please help me i need model answers thx soooooo much:biggrin: :cry: :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Roxas. In any vehicle, your acceleration depends upon 3 factors primarily. One is the power-to-weight ratio, the second is how effectively that power is applied to the road, and the third is aerodynamic drag on the vehicle. For engines built to the same specifications, a bigger one will always have more power than a little one. You will also have better acceleration from a rear-wheel drive or 4-wheel drive than you will from a backwards car because of weight transfer to the drive wheels.

4. Oct 24, 2006 #3
    my homework question says it has to be explained in f=ma, like how am i supposed to do that??:confused: :cry: :confused: :cry: :confused: :cry: :confused: :cry: :confused: :cry: :confused: :cry:

5. Oct 24, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Well, to start with, homework questions don't belong here. This should be posted in the homework section of the forum. Secondly, I'm a practical guy, not a mathematical one, so I can't answer you in those terms. Third, whining won't help. Good luck with it, though.

6. Oct 24, 2006 #5
    i forgot.....thats why i apologised to the mods in the second post

7. Oct 24, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

No prob. I gotta get back to bed now; I was just up for a midnight snack and the wife has noticed my absence. Catch you later. :smile:

8. Oct 24, 2006 #7
    H3LP ME!!! MY L1F3 SUX I AM 3M0 PL3AS3 TE11 M3 THE AN5W3R T0 THAT QU35T10N PL3AS3 PL3ASE ANIB0DY PLEASE!! . THX =) my exam is next week=(

9. Oct 24, 2006 #8

rsk

OK, in terms of F=ma, acc depends of Force and mass

a = F/m

So a big heavy engine which can provide a large driving force, might also have a large mass, which would lmit the acceleration.

the smaller lighter engine, although it can't provide the same force, doesn't have the mass either so can still produce a reasonable acceleration. It's the ratio between the force and mass you need to think about for acceleration

10. Oct 24, 2006 #9
    edit: my sos message was posted at the same time as yours. thx soo much

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  11. Oct 24, 2006 #10

rsk

stop panicking. Read and think.

12. Oct 24, 2006 #11
    edit: oops my com crapped up and i accidentally double posted .

13. Oct 24, 2006 #12

Danger

Gold Member

And please, please don't ever post in whatever that style was again. It's incredibly irritating. Proper English (or as close as one can get to it if it's not his/her first language) is the acceptable form here. This is not a scolding... just pointing something out. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?