Net Force on 5.32 x 10^4 kg Airplane: Solve the Mystery

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the net force acting on an airplane based on given mass and acceleration values. The attempt at a solution results in a value of 93632N [forward], while the book's answer is 3.02 x 10^4 N [forward]. It is suggested that the book's answer may be incorrect due to a possible error in the answer key. It is also noted that the result should be rounded to the correct number of significant figures.
Balsam

Homework Statement

An airplane with a mass of 5.32 x 10^4 Kg accelerates down the runway at 1.76 m/s^2 [forward]. Calculate the net force acting on the airplane.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this by multiplying the two given values, but my answer was 93632N [forward]. The answer in the book is 3.02 x 10^4 N[forward]. I have no idea where I went wrong- I've tried this twice and got the same answer both times

Physics news on Phys.org
It's quite possible that the book has an error in its answer key. Sometimes they change the question values for new editions and miss changing the answers accordingly.

Your result looks good in terms of magnitude, but you should round to the correct number of significant figures.

gneill said:
It's quite possible that the book has an error in its answer key. Sometimes they change the question values for new editions and miss changing the answers accordingly.

Your result looks good in terms of magnitude, but you should round to the correct number of significant figures.

Would the correct significant figures be 9.4 x 10^4 N?

Balsam said:
Would the correct significant figures be 9.4 x 10^4 N?
How many significant figures do the given data values have? How many in "9.4"?

1. What is the net force acting on the 5.32 x 10^4 kg airplane?

The net force on an object is the sum of all the forces acting on it. In order to calculate the net force on the 5.32 x 10^4 kg airplane, we need to know the magnitude and direction of all the forces acting on it.

2. How do you calculate the net force on the airplane?

To calculate the net force on the airplane, we need to use Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. We can use this equation to find the net force by plugging in the mass of the airplane and its acceleration.

3. What factors affect the net force on the airplane?

The net force on the airplane can be affected by various factors such as the air resistance, gravity, and any external forces acting on it. The direction and magnitude of these forces can impact the net force on the airplane.

4. How does air resistance affect the net force on the airplane?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion through the air. This force can decrease the net force on the airplane, as it acts to slow down its movement through the air.

5. Can the net force on the airplane be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the net force on the airplane to be zero. This would mean that all the forces acting on the airplane are balanced and the airplane is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity. In this case, the acceleration of the airplane would be zero, and therefore the net force would also be zero.