1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F=ma problem

1. Feb 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An airplane with a mass of 5.32 x 10^4 Kg accelerates down the runway at 1.76 m/s^2 [forward]. Calculate the net force acting on the airplane.

2. Relevant equations
    Fnet=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I did this by multiplying the two given values, but my answer was 93632N [forward]. The answer in the book is 3.02 x 10^4 N[forward]. I have no idea where I went wrong- I've tried this twice and got the same answer both times

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It's quite possible that the book has an error in its answer key. Sometimes they change the question values for new editions and miss changing the answers accordingly.

Your result looks good in terms of magnitude, but you should round to the correct number of significant figures.

4. Feb 2, 2016 #3
    Would the correct significant figures be 9.4 x 10^4 N?

5. Feb 2, 2016 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

How many significant figures do the given data values have? How many in "9.4"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted