Finding Acceleration of a Car with a Hanging Mass

• Thread starter morrisj753
  • Start date
  • Tags
    F=ma
In summary, to find the acceleration of the car, we can use the equation a = F/m and solve for F. The forces acting on the ball are the tension of the string and gravity. By splitting the tension into horizontal and vertical components, we can determine that the vertical component must be equal to mg. Plugging this into the equation for F, we can find the acceleration of the car in terms of θ, M, L, and g. It is important to note that the ball is only accelerating horizontally, so splitting the forces into vertical and horizontal components is necessary.
morrisj753

Homework Statement

A point object of mass M hangs from the ceiling of a car from a massless string of length L. It is observed to make an angle θ from the vertical as the car accelerates uniformly from rest. Find the acceleration of the car in terms of θ, M, L, and g.

Diagram: http://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2010/upload/2010_FmaSolutions.pdf (Number 9)

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

They wanted the acceleration, so I started with
a = F / m
The only thing I need is to find F and substitute it back into the above equation. However, I don't know if the car is moving up an inclined plane or on a horizontal surface.
If it were a horizontal surface, the only force would be mg sin θ (mg cos θ and Fn (ceiling) would cancel each other out), so a = g sin θ, which is not correct. My thinking is obviously flawed, so any ideas would be helpful.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
morrisj753 said:

Homework Statement

A point object of mass M hangs from the ceiling of a car from a massless string of length L. It is observed to make an angle θ from the vertical as the car accelerates uniformly from rest. Find the acceleration of the car in terms of θ, M, L, and g.

Diagram: http://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2010/upload/2010_FmaSolutions.pdf (Number 9)

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

They wanted the acceleration, so I started with
a = F / m
The only thing I need is to find F and substitute it back into the above equation. However, I don't know if the car is moving up an inclined plane or on a horizontal surface.
If it were a horizontal surface, the only force would be mg sin θ (mg cos θ and Fn (ceiling) would cancel each other out), so a = g sin θ, which is not correct. My thinking is obviously flawed, so any ideas would be helpful.
Thank you

If it were on an inclined plane they would tell you so. The forces acting on the ball are the string tension T and gravity mg acting down. Split T into horizontal and vertical components. Then the vertical component of T must be mg. Solve for T and put it into the horizontal component.

Thank you for the response, and yes, I did end up with the correct answer.

Just a question. How come if you split mg into components you get the wrong answer?

SignaturePF said:
Just a question. How come if you split mg into components you get the wrong answer?

The ball (just like the car) is accelerating horizontally and not accelerating vertically. So you want to split the forces into horizonal and vertical components. There's no need to split mg. It's already vertical.

1. What does F=ma represent?

F=ma is a mathematical equation that represents Newton's second law of motion. It states that the force (F) applied to an object is equal to the mass (m) of the object multiplied by its acceleration (a).

2. How do you calculate the force using F=ma?

To calculate the force (F) using F=ma, you need to know the mass (m) of the object and its acceleration (a). Then, you simply multiply the mass by the acceleration to get the force. The unit for force is Newtons (N).

3. What is the importance of F=ma in physics?

F=ma is a fundamental equation in physics that helps us understand the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It is used to explain the motion of objects and is essential in many fields, such as mechanics, engineering, and astronomy.

4. How does F=ma apply to string and force problems?

In string and force problems, F=ma is used to calculate the tension force in a string or rope. The mass of the object attached to the string and its acceleration are both factors in determining the tension force. F=ma also helps us understand how changes in mass or acceleration affect the tension force.

5. Can F=ma be applied to non-uniform motion?

Yes, F=ma can be applied to non-uniform motion. In cases where an object has varying acceleration, the equation can still be used by considering the average acceleration over a specific time interval. However, for more precise calculations, the equation may need to be modified to account for changes in acceleration over time.