F=mv^2/r and Geosynchronouse orbits

• Thread starter Elder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbits
In summary, the formulas for determining the radius and mass for a geosynchronous orbit are found on the Liftoff website, and the gravitational force exerted on an object in that orbit is equal to the centrifugal force.
Elder
F=mv^2/r and Geosynchronouse orbits? Help Guys!

I’m having a mental block in understanding why geostationary satellites stay in the same place and don’t change orbits or simply fall out of the sky.

I may be using inaccurate information so please vet any and all suppositions I make here.

Using the formulas I found at this web site

http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/academy/rocket_sci/orbmech/formulas.html

I begin with determining the radius for a circular geosynchronous orbit the semi-major axis is given and it turns out to be 42168 Kilometers.

Now, I am assuming that if I calculate the Centrifugal Force on an object in geosynchronous orbit at this distance from the Center of the Earth it should equate to the Gravitational force the Earth exerts on it.

The formula I remember for Centrifugal force is F=mv^2/r

F= force
m= Mass
v=velocity
r=Radius

so an arbitrary 1 kilogram mass orbiting at r=42168 kilometer distance from the center of the Earth traveling at 2(PI)r/24= 11039.56 kilometers /hour around the Earth should have a gravitational force equal to the centrifugal force imposed on it by its orbit. Using the above formula F=mv^2/r, is equal to 2890.15 kilograms!

Does the Earth impose a gravitational force of over 2890 kilograms on a 1 kilogram object at 42168 kilometers away? I must be doing something or many things wrong! Maybe the formulas or even the premise of the question is wrong.

Please guys help me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think the biggest problem you are having is with units. First convert everything to meters, kilograms and seconds, and then do the math. You will find that you get an answer of .223 Newtons for the force on the satellite.

Do the same with the formula [itex]F_g = \frac{G \mu m}{r^2}[/itex], and you will get the same answer (within rounding error).

Last edited:
You can also get the formula given in the website by assuming that the gravitational force and centripetal force needed to hold the satellite in orbit are equal thusly.

For circular orbit centripetal force is:
[tex]F_c = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]

The force due to gravity is:
[tex]F_g = \frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

Now, [itex]GM = \mu[/itex] where M is the mass of the Earth, so:

[tex]F_g = \frac{\mu m}{r^2}[/tex]

We are assuming that Fg=Fc, so

[tex]\frac{\mu m}{r^2} = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\mu }{r} = v^2[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{\mu }{r}} =v[/tex]

The period is therefore:

[tex]T=\frac{2 \pi r}{\sqrt{\frac{\mu }{r}}}[/tex]

[tex]T=\frac{2 \pi r \sqrt{r}}{\sqrt{\mu }}[/tex]

[tex]T=\frac{2 \pi \sqrt{r^3}}{\sqrt{\mu }}[/tex]

[tex]T=2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{r^3}{\mu }}[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks!

Thanks Janus

Very much!

As to your closing signature quote from Bertrand Russell, I thought Hum, interesting but something has been nawing at me since I read it.
Actually the problem is too many of us are arrogant enough to think we know the difference between fool, fanatic, and the wise. :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of F=mv^2/r in physics?

F=mv^2/r, also known as the centripetal force equation, is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the relationship between an object's mass, velocity, and radius in circular motion. It helps us understand how objects move in circular paths and is essential in many areas of science, such as celestial mechanics and engineering.

2. How is F=mv^2/r related to geosynchronous orbits?

F=mv^2/r is directly related to geosynchronous orbits, as it is used to calculate the required speed and altitude for a satellite to maintain a circular orbit above the Earth's equator. The centripetal force provided by the Earth's gravity (F) must be equal to the product of the satellite's mass (m), velocity (v), and the radius of its orbit (r).

3. Can you explain the concept of a geosynchronous orbit?

A geosynchronous orbit is a circular orbit around the Earth that has the same period of rotation as the Earth, meaning it completes one full orbit in the same amount of time it takes for the Earth to rotate once on its axis (approximately 24 hours). This results in the satellite appearing to hover over the same spot on the Earth's surface, making it ideal for communication and weather satellites.

4. What is the difference between a geosynchronous and geostationary orbit?

While the terms geosynchronous and geostationary are often used interchangeably, there is a slight difference between the two. A geosynchronous orbit is any orbit that has a period of rotation equal to the Earth's, while a geostationary orbit is a specific type of geosynchronous orbit that is also located directly above the Earth's equator. This means that a geostationary satellite always remains in the same position relative to the Earth's surface, while a geosynchronous satellite may have some movement in its orbit.

5. What are some practical applications of geosynchronous orbits?

Geosynchronous orbits have a wide range of practical applications, including communication, weather forecasting, and navigation. The majority of communication satellites, such as those used for television and internet services, are placed in geosynchronous orbits to maintain constant coverage over a specific region. Weather satellites also use geosynchronous orbits to monitor and gather data on the Earth's weather patterns. Additionally, global navigation systems, such as GPS, rely on satellites in geosynchronous orbits to provide accurate location and time information.