Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F my life

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    F*** my life

UGGGHH!! Today I wrote my EngG130 (engineering mechanics: statics) midterm that's worth 35% of my final grade.

This would normally be very stressful/difficult, and I managed to compound this with my bullheadedness.

We are allowed faculty approved calculators, great I have a faculty approved calculator.

However, further inspection on the calculator policy reveals an important tidbit: the calculator must be NON-PROGRAMMABLE, which, surprise surprise, I didn't have.

I decided to bring my faculty approved PROGRAMMABLE calculator.

I just wrote a two hour midterm without a calculator. I'm sure I failed.

F*** my life.

P.S. If anyone has encouragement to offer please do

P.P.S. Similar stories would be nice.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: F*** my life

Just think of it this way: 35% of a course is not the be all and end all. If you knew what you were doing, then you will presumably only miss out on some of the marks for getting the correct final number, but still pick up points for method. Just make sure you blitz your final exam, and it should make up for it.

4. Oct 24, 2009 #3

Yeah, you're right. One low mark won't kill me. I just hope this doesn't result in me not getting into the program I want to get in.

5. Oct 24, 2009 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that if courses are going to allow calculators on exams, but have restrictions on the type you can use, then they should provide the calculators for those who need them. With so many different classes requiring calculators, and all of them having different rules about what type you should or shouldn't have, it's ridiculous for students to need to keep purchasing multiple calculators. And, for the sake of exam security, it just seems easiest to hand out calculators and collect them at the end.

Anyway, as cristo pointed out, you still should be able to get the majority of points for method, and just lose some minor points if you miscalculated something in your head.

6. Oct 24, 2009 #5

For most engineering exams, the calculations worth less than 20%. As you far you put your steps there and show that you know how to solve the problem you should be able to get 80% at max. You should be good if you did everything but the last step of finding the numerical values. Your marker would probably go easier about that part if you mentioned the circumstance.

7. Oct 24, 2009 #6

I would say even less than that. Around here, its the way you set up the problem, the assumptions you make, and the physical laws you apply to solve are what gets you the points. A final number is worth maybe 2% if that.

8. Oct 24, 2009 #7

(In physics) In the past I have written a note at the top of the exam stating that I did not have a calculator, and would carry all calculations as far as possible without one. I simplified everything as best I could, and was given full credit. As far as I know, this is standard practise, but I could be mistaken.

9. Oct 24, 2009 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I went to one of my intro calc based physics courses' finals when i just started college.

Forgot my calculator, period.

Aced that test :rofl: One of the highest scores in the class to top it off I think.

10. Oct 24, 2009 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rofl: Geez frickin' Louieez! Learn to use a slide rule!

11. Oct 25, 2009 #10

I agree with most of the replies here, but I've had multiple choice Engineering exams as well, and if you didn't have a calculator for a test like that then you're pretty much screwed.

12. Oct 25, 2009 #11

It wasn't a multiple choice test, it was long answer. The problem is that my work is going to be so hard to follow, because I have untidy work to begin with. The other problem is that I could have easily made errors in my substitutions. I did try to simplify, but some cases were just too much, and I had to leave the question in concerns of time/risk of cerebral aneurysm. I was aiming for/expecting 15% above average, now I'm speculating a grade 10-20% below average.

13. Oct 25, 2009 #12

If they're only allowing non-programmable calculators and by non-programmable calculators, you mean calculators that can only do simple operations (add, subtract, multiply, etc), then surely the exam wouldn't have been that hard w/o the calculator since you would just need to do those simple operations in your head or on paper.

14. Oct 25, 2009 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A calculator isn't going to help with that. There's no reason not to be tidy in your work and make it clear to follow.

Usually it's the trig functions people need to use the calculators for (or in Bob's case, use the slide rule for).

15. Oct 26, 2009 #14

I agree, I think I have at least four calculators. On the down side the university would consider the handing out of calculators in the class a reason to raise the cost of the class by a hundred dollars. Not because they would give us a graphing calculator, but because they might have given us a graphing calculator. The handing out of calculators in class for temporary use would be deemed an expensive and unnecessary risk. :rolleyes:

16. Oct 26, 2009 #15

A calculator isn't going to help with that. There's no reason not to be tidy in your work and make it clear to follow.

Yeah, I know. I try to be neat, but it often doesn't seem to work. I do leave comments as to what I'm attempting.

Usually it's the trig functions people need to use the calculators for (or in Bob's case, use the slide rule for).

I had problems with roots as well. I tried to simplify, but only had so much time.

If i'm multiplying expressions and such, I can easily leave a term 'behind', or copy it down incorectly, ect. A caclulator would've made this portion of the exam alot easier. Same with the substitutions. Often in the course of this exam I would have to solve systems of equations. It would have been much easier to be able to compute expressions rather than subbing in whole expressions.

Oh well, I just hope I don't fail. If I do, then I'll just have to be a civil engineer... *shudder*

17. Oct 27, 2009 #16

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, if he did there would probably be some obscure restriction against using one with a sliding k scale... and guess which one he would bring!

18. Oct 27, 2009 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why is the restriction put in place to begin with? If there were a way to prove the person taking the test programmed the calculator instead of his buddy, then you wouldn't need the restriction. In order to program your calculator, you need to know how to solve the problem.

In fact, in a small class with a fairly standard calculator, the restriction is sometimes relaxed. The instructor just makes sure the program is cleared at the start of the test. Who cares what you program into your calculator during the test.

It's a somewhat silly restriction anyway. I've always been amazed at how many students never learn how to use their calculator. The ones that need help on their test probably don't realize they could program their calculator to solve the problem.

19. Oct 28, 2009 #18

If you did the method right, you should be ok. Sometimes thing came out better than you expected. (sometimes)
    to share my experience:
    It was a final exam in my programming class. I had other (more important) finals to worry about, so I didn't study much for it. I thought I'd do fine since writing codes was never a problem for me. Then I went to take the exam. There were four questions on it. I had to write separate programs for each. Turns out all of them needed same two lines of code to make them work, and I couldn't remember since usually I copied those lines from another source. So I couldn't compile any of my programs. I ended up writing the rest of the code without compiling them.
    Panicked a lil after the test :uhh:
    good thing I did well in my midterms, so I still got good grade on the course.

20. Oct 28, 2009 #19

I would ask that you let us know how you did once you get your grade. You have built up a bit of suspense as this thread hasn't petered off yet.

21. Oct 28, 2009 #20

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because it is likely that only one student would actually program the calculator and the others would simply download it. I once gave a class an assignment to pick up an article in chemistry from the library for an extra 10 points on their next test.... ANY ARTICLE. The point of the excercise was to teach the class that there was a part of the library where chemical journals are kept and to familiarize them with at least one of the journal names.

One student did the assignment. The rest of the class turned in a photocopy of his article.
    I about popped a blood vessel! These were college students... well, premeds at least.

I've never gotten over it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook