Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F=ℝ: Normal matrix with real eigenvalues but not diagonalizable

1. Dec 12, 2013 #1
    I am going through Friedberg and came up with a rather difficult problem I can't seem to resolve.
    If ## F = ℝ ## and A is a normal matrix with real eigenvalues, then does it follow that A is diagonalizable? If not, can I find a counterexample?

I'm trying to find a counterexample, by constructing a matrix A that is normal and has real eigenvalues, but is not diagonalizable. It is giving me some problems! Any ideas?

If I did not have the assumption that A has real eigenvalues, the rotation matrix would suffice as a counterexample.

If I had the complex field instead of the real field, then easily A is diagonalizable since normality implies orthogonal diagonalizibility in a complex inner product space.

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2013 #2
    Just a hint: there is no counterexample, look for proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook