1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F number and light intensity

1. Jun 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    using the same film and level of illumination two pictures are taken, one with double the f number of the other. for both films to recieve the same total light energy, what factor must the required time of exposure change for the picture with double the f number.

2. Relevant equations

f number = focal length/diameter

3. The attempt at a solution
    double the f number couldbe taken as meaning half the diamter. therefore i can guess the answer should be a factor of two. but the f number formula doesn't relate 'total light energy' to anything does it? i thought it was a rating of light intensity.??
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Lachlan1! :wink:
    If these are with the same camera (it doesn't say), then the focal length is presumably the same, so the diameter is different.

Bigger lens … more light! :smile:
  4. Jun 6, 2010 #3
    Hi, thanks for that. But the question is asking what is the difference in the time of exposure. do you know what is being referred to as light energy?
    -- well i just found out the answer is four, but im not sure how to get that?
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  5. Jun 7, 2010 #4

Staff: Mentor

Amount of light is directly proportional to the area through which light comes into the camera.
  6. Jun 7, 2010 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(just got up :zzz: …)
    light energy is just another name for the amount of light :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook