Solving a F of g of x Chart Placement Exam Question

• Thread starter A.J.710
  • Start date
In summary, the student was trying to find the f of g of 5, but was confused on how to do it. After some help from the other people in the conversation, they were able to figure it out. The f of g of 5 is -3.
A.J.710
Hi, I just took a placement exam for college and I would like to go over some of the questions that I got wrong. There are quite a few but this one in particular keeps me wondering. I know how to do the regular f of g of x when functions are given but in this problem it is just a chart full of numbers. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-11 at 3.01.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-11 at 3.01.30 PM.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 654
Physics news on Phys.org
Check in which column x=5 and see what f(x) is in that column, you then know what f of 5 is, now find out what the g of f of 5 is by following the same procedure as you did for finding the f of x.

gerben said:
Check in which column x=5 and see what f(x) is in that column, you then know what f of 5 is, now find out what the g of f of 5 is by following the same procedure as you did for finding the f of x.

So the answer would be 3?

Oh sorry, you need to find the f of g of 5 (not the g of f of 5), my original post should have been:

Check in which column x=5 and see what g(x) is in that column, you then know what g of 5 is, now find out what the f of g of 5 is by following the same procedure as you did for finding the g of x.

gerben said:
Oh sorry, you need to find the f of g of 5 (not the g of f of 5), my original post should have been:

Check in which column x=5 and see what g(x) is in that column, you then know what g of 5 is, now find out what the f of g of 5 is by following the same procedure as you did for finding the g of x.

So then -3?

No, what is g(5)?

gerben said:
No, what is g(5)?

Oh, -1? Sorry if it's wrong again I'm still a little confused on which rows to go to.

No, to see what g(5) is, you should just check in which column x equals 5 and see what g(x) is in that column.

Don't get ahead of yourself. What is g(5) based on that chart? Whatever number that is becomes your new 'x' and then find that number for f(x).

So in the g column, where the 5 is, x=4. Is this the g(x) or am I still mixing it up?

No, rows are horizontal, columns are vertical. The x row is the top row, move horizontally to where x=5, below that you see what f(x) is when x=5 and again one below you see what g(x) is when x=5

Looking at the x row at the top I go to where x=5 then the f row shows -3 and the g row shows 3.

gerben said:
No, rows are horizontal, columns are vertical. The x row is the top row, move horizontally to where x=5, below that you see what f(x) is when x=5 and again one below you see what g(x) is when x=5

Indeed, so f(5)=-3 and g(5)=3.

You were asked "what is f(g(5))". Now that you know what g(5) is, call it b, you can find out what f(g(5)) is. It is equal to f(b).

gerben said:
Indeed, so f(5)=-3 and g(5)=3.

You were asked "what is f(g(5))". Now that you know what g(5) is, call it b, you can find out what f(g(5)) is. It is equal to f(b).

So where the g row states 5 right above it in the f row,which is -1.

Ok so can we agree that g(5) = 3, right? So now you have f(g(5)) = f(3), makes sense?

No, when solving f(g(5)), meaning f of g of 5, you go like this:
First: What is g(5)? You saw g of 5 is 3, because when x=5 then g(x)=3.
Next: what is f(g(5))... hmm, I know g(5)=3, so the question is: "what is f(3)?"

Ohhh I think I get it now! So you go back to the top afterwards so it would be 2.

Correct!

Great! Thanks guys so much for all of the help.

1. What is a "F of g of x" chart placement exam question?

A "F of g of x" chart placement exam question is a type of math problem that tests a student's understanding of function composition. It involves plugging one function into another and evaluating the result.

2. How do you solve a "F of g of x" chart placement exam question?

To solve a "F of g of x" chart placement exam question, you first need to identify the two functions involved. Then, substitute the inner function (g(x)) into the outer function (f(x)) and simplify the resulting expression.

3. What are some common mistakes made when solving "F of g of x" chart placement exam questions?

Some common mistakes made when solving "F of g of x" chart placement exam questions include forgetting to substitute the inner function into the outer function, incorrectly simplifying the resulting expression, and not understanding the concept of function composition.

4. How can I prepare for a "F of g of x" chart placement exam question?

To prepare for a "F of g of x" chart placement exam question, it is important to have a solid understanding of function composition and how to evaluate composite functions. Practice problems and reviewing examples can also help improve your skills.

5. Are "F of g of x" chart placement exam questions common on placement exams?

Yes, "F of g of x" chart placement exam questions are commonly included on placement exams for math courses. They are used to assess a student's understanding of function composition, which is an important concept in higher level math courses.