Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F:OpenOffice -> Word

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1

Gold Member

I have a little problem. I have homework that I have to give in as a word document. But since I only have OpenOffice.org I wrote it in that using it's great formula editor to write equations. Then I exported it to a Word (.doc) file but when I opened it with word all the equations were messed up (for example the + sign was missing everywhere). What should I do?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Tell the person who requires you to write it in Word that it is unreasonable to expect you to use a program that is not available free of charge for all OSs. I'd leave the morals of using MS at all out of it. But anyone who requires you to use Word (and nothing else) for a maths project is in an indefensible position.
  4. Apr 20, 2007 #3
    I wish this were the case, but their defense is simply "I was graduated with my degree without any training in an acceptable math writing software".

The poor teacher is not concerned about morals of using MS, he is just unable to work with other formats.

And my advice to the OP is to export the graphics as bitmaps, and import them into word.
  5. Apr 20, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Export it to PDF.

If you can't print it off in PDF or the teacher / lecturer won't accept it in PDF then I'd personally launch a complaint with the school / college/ university.

Your other less favourable option would be to save it in HTML, open it in Word, save it as .doc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?