"How Fr=Ialpha Works in a Pulley w/ Mass

In summary, Fr=Ialpha is an equation used to calculate the torque on a pulley with one mass attached. It takes into account the moment of inertia of the pulley and the angular acceleration caused by the mass. The equation is similar to Newton's second law for linear motion, where force is equal to mass times acceleration.
JiggaMan

Homework Statement

How does Fr=Ialpha work and how is it applied to a pulley with one mass attatched?

Homework Equations

F * r = I * alpha
I = moment of inertia

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming F would be the tension of the pulley with the string. But how does that equation work? can someone explain the mechanics of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
F is the tangetial forice
r is the radius (in this case the radius of the pulley)
I is the moment of inertia (assume the pulley is a soild disk, so I = 1/2mr^2
alpha is the angular acceleration.

That equation is accounting for the fact that the pulley itself has inertia. Let's say you have a mass on a rope over a frictionless pulley (the bearing is frictionless, not the rope groove!) and you are holding one end of the rope. Nothing is moving, and nothing is accelerating, so it doesn't matter that the pulley has inertia. Now suppose you let go of the rope. Gravity pulling down on the mass starts to accelerate the mass. However it ALSO starts to accelerate the pulley. As long as the rope doesn't slip, the pulley speed has to match the acceleration of the bucket. The applied force is m g. If the acceleration of the mass is a, then the angular acceleration of the pulley must be α= a/r. That means that:

M g = M a + α I
=> Mg = Ma + a I / r
=> a = g / (1+ I / (M r))
Taking the pulley to be a solid disk
=> a = g / (1 + (m/(2M)) r)

So the larger the radius or the higher the mass the more the inertia of the pulley slows down the free falling mass. This is one example of how the inertia of the pulley is used. I hope that helps.

JiggaMan said:
I'm assuming F would be the tension of the pulley with the string.
In case it is not clear, in general, F would be the difference between the tensions on each side of the pulley.

JiggaMan said:
I'm assuming F would be the tension of the pulley with the string. But how does that equation work? can someone explain the mechanics of it?

F * r = I * alpha

F * r = Torque

so it's saying..
Torque = Moment of Inertia * Angular acceleration

Compare that to Newtons law for the linear case...
Force = Mass * Acceleration

Note that it's the Net Force or Net Torque that matters in the above. The net torque due to a belt on a pulley is equal to the difference in tension on each side of the pulley as Haruspex said.

1. How does friction affect the efficiency of a pulley system with a mass?

Friction can decrease the efficiency of a pulley system with a mass by causing resistance and reducing the amount of force that can be transferred from the input to the output. This can result in a higher amount of energy being lost to heat and can also make it more difficult to move the mass.

2. What role does the angle of the pulley have in the function of the system?

The angle of the pulley can affect the efficiency of the system by changing the direction and magnitude of the force needed to lift the mass. A larger angle can require a greater force to move the mass while a smaller angle can make it easier to lift the mass with less force.

3. How does the weight of the mass impact the performance of the pulley system?

The weight of the mass is an important factor in determining the amount of force needed to lift the mass in the pulley system. A heavier mass will require more force to overcome its weight, while a lighter mass will require less force. This can also affect the amount of friction and energy lost in the system.

4. Can the number of pulleys in the system affect its efficiency?

Yes, the number of pulleys in the system can affect its efficiency. Adding more pulleys can spread the weight of the load over a larger area, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the mass. However, each additional pulley can also increase the amount of friction in the system, which can decrease its efficiency.

5. Is there a maximum weight that a pulley system with a mass can handle?

The maximum weight that a pulley system with a mass can handle depends on various factors such as the strength of the pulleys, the amount of friction in the system, and the amount of force that can be applied. In general, the system can handle more weight if the pulleys are stronger and there is less friction. However, it is important to not exceed the weight limit recommended by the manufacturer to avoid damage to the pulleys and potential safety hazards.