1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: F r is a rational solution r = p/q and p and q are coprime, show that q|an and p|a0

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that r is a solution of the equation:

anxn + a(n−1)x(n−1) + . . . + a1x + a0 = 0

where the coefficients ak belongs to Z for k = 0, 1, . . . n, and n is greater or equal to 1. If r is a rational solution r = p/q, where p, q belong to Z and p and q are
    coprime, show that q|an and p|a0.

3. The attempt at a solution

Im not even sure where to begin, im so confused, what am i trying to prove? and how do i prove it, i feel like there is something missing in the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: f r is a rational solution r = p/q and p and q are coprime, show that q|an and p|

Here's an example to help show you how this works. Here's an equation: x2 - 4x + 4 = 0.

In this equation a2, the coefficient of x2, is 1. a0 is the constant term, and is 4.

If there is a rational number r = p/q that is a solution to this equation, this theorem says that p has to divide a0, and q has to divide a2.

As it turns out, 2 is a solution, and is a rational number - i.e., 2 = 2/1. Clearly 2 divides 4, and 1 divides 1.

4. Sep 29, 2010 #3
    Re: f r is a rational solution r = p/q and p and q are coprime, show that q|an and p|

Thanks i got it now, just got confused with the wording.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook