How Do You Derive the Fourier Series for Laplace's Equation Solutions?

In summary, the conversation discusses using formulas and integrations to find the Fourier coefficients of a periodic function and the conditions for the series to converge. The problem involves finding the Fourier expansion for a function in Laplace's Equation and the solution is found to be a simple one, with the help of a helpful person.
Somefantastik
I'm supposed to derive this monster!

[tex] \frac{1}{2} + \frac{2}{\pi} \sum^{\infty}_{k = 1}\frac{1}{2k-1}sin(2k-1)x = \left\{^{0 \ for \ -\pi < x < 0}_{1 \ for \ 0<x<\pi} [/tex]

I don't even know where to start right now. And no examples to work from. Can anyone get me started?

the Chapter is on Fourier Expansions for solutions to Laplace's Equation.

Any direction at all would be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried? use the formulas for the coefficients in a Fourier expansion and be careful with your integrations.

I don't understand. What am I to integrate? If I integrate the coefficients, what is my f(x)? What does that get me when I integrate the coefficients other than just a compacted form?

If you have a periodic function [tex] f [/tex] on [tex] [-\pi, \pi] [/tex], then setting

[tex]
\begin{align*}
a_n = \frac 1 \pi \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \cos{(nx)} f(x) \, dx \\
b_n = \frac 1 \pi \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin{(nx)} f(x) \, dx
\end{align*}
[/tex]

are the Fourier coefficients of the function [tex] f [/tex]. With them you have
the formal representation

[tex]
f(x) \sim \frac{a_0} 2 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty {\left(a_n \cos(nx) + b_n \sin(nx)}
[/tex]

The conditions that show when the series actually converges to [tex] f [/tex] are varied, and
should be given in your text.

Looking at your first post, it seems that in your case the function

[tex]
f(x) = \begin{cases}
& 0 \text{ if } -\pi < x < 0\\
& 1 \text{ if } 0 < x < \pi
\end{cases}
[/tex]

Yes, that worked. It all fell together pretty nicely. Seems like a pretty trivial problem. Thanks for your help :)

1. What is a Fourier expansion?

A Fourier expansion, also known as a Fourier series, is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand.

2. How is Fourier expansion used in science?

Fourier expansion is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is particularly useful in studying and analyzing periodic phenomena, such as sound waves and electrical signals.

3. What is the process of deriving a monster in Fourier expansion?

The term "monster" is commonly used in Fourier expansion to refer to particularly complex or challenging functions. The process of deriving a monster involves finding the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions that make up the Fourier series representation of the function.

4. What are some applications of Fourier expansion in real-world problems?

Some common applications of Fourier expansion include image and sound compression, signal filtering, and solving differential equations. It is also used in areas such as medical imaging, climate modeling, and finance.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier expansion?

While Fourier expansion is a powerful tool, it does have certain limitations. It can only be used on periodic functions, and the accuracy of the representation depends on the smoothness of the function. In some cases, other mathematical techniques may be more suitable for solving a problem.