Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F theory?

1. May 7, 2006 #1
    i was wondering what some of your opinions were on this theory. I was also wondering how it is possible to have 2 times.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2006 #2
    While mathematically, F-theory describes a spacetime with an additional time direction, physically it's simply a convenient geometry in terms of which to understand a certain aspect of the type IIB theory in the usual (9+1) spacetime dimensions.
  4. May 9, 2006 #3
    But what exactly is this extra time direction, and what makes it seem possible?
  5. May 10, 2006 #4
    To my understanding, super symmetry only works in 11 or less dimensions is you're working with 1 time dimension and the rest spacial. Beyond that you get particles of spin greater than 2 and they have problems.

You can, however, remove these problems in 12 dimensions if you have 2 time dimensions, in that your metric signature would be (-,-,+,...,+) (or whatever your preference for writing the signature signs is ;)). It's much less of a physical situation, more of a mathematical tool to conveniently talk about some things in IIB theory (it's SL(2,Z) symmetry I think).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?