1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F theory?

1. May 7, 2006 #1
    i was wondering what some of your opinions were on this theory. I was also wondering how it is possible to have 2 times.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2006 #2
    While mathematically, F-theory describes a spacetime with an additional time direction, physically it's simply a convenient geometry in terms of which to understand a certain aspect of the type IIB theory in the usual (9+1) spacetime dimensions.

4. May 9, 2006 #3
    But what exactly is this extra time direction, and what makes it seem possible?

5. May 10, 2006 #4
    To my understanding, super symmetry only works in 11 or less dimensions is you're working with 1 time dimension and the rest spacial. Beyond that you get particles of spin greater than 2 and they have problems.

You can, however, remove these problems in 12 dimensions if you have 2 time dimensions, in that your metric signature would be (-,-,+,...,+) (or whatever your preference for writing the signature signs is ;)). It's much less of a physical situation, more of a mathematical tool to conveniently talk about some things in IIB theory (it's SL(2,Z) symmetry I think).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?