1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F vs. a Graph's Intercept

1. Oct 7, 2006 #1
    My question concerns the y-intercept of the force vs. acceleration graph. When I plotted my data, the regression line had an intercept that was not 0. What does this signify? I know that the intercept is the amount of force when the acceleration is 0 m/s^2. Shouldn't it be 0 N at 0 m/s^2? Does this mean there was a source of force that I neglected to take account for while recording the values for the graph?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Most likely!
    Force is strictly proportional to acceleration.

4. Oct 7, 2006 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just how non-zero is it? Could it be an indication of measurement errors?

5. Oct 8, 2006 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Consider the case if the graph was drawn a vs F.

The x-intercept will indicate that some non-zero force was necessary to start the acceleration of the object - a tipical real life situation we find in order to overcome the ever present frictional forces.

6. Oct 8, 2006 #5
    The intercept was about 0.0051 (N).

7. Oct 8, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What are the typical magnitude of your data values?

8. Oct 8, 2006 #7
    Which values? The a values or the F values?

All the force and acceleration values are less than 1.0 N and 1.0 m/s^2, respectively.

My smallest F value is 0.0961 N and greatest is 0.446 N.

My smallest a value is 0.188 m/s^2 and greatest is 0.869 m/s^2. The smallest F value corresponds with my smallest a value, and the greatest F value corresponds with my greatest a value.

9. Oct 8, 2006 #8
    A frictionless setup was organized (or was attempted to be organized), but it is possible to still have frictional forces as a source of error?

10. Oct 8, 2006 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Indeed there can, and will be!
    In your case, the force discrepancy is about a twentieth of your least value, that is most likely the effect of friction showing up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?