Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: F vs. a Graph's Intercept

1. Oct 7, 2006 #1
    My question concerns the y-intercept of the force vs. acceleration graph. When I plotted my data, the regression line had an intercept that was not 0. What does this signify? I know that the intercept is the amount of force when the acceleration is 0 m/s^2. Shouldn't it be 0 N at 0 m/s^2? Does this mean there was a source of force that I neglected to take account for while recording the values for the graph?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Most likely!
    Force is strictly proportional to acceleration.

4. Oct 7, 2006 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just how non-zero is it? Could it be an indication of measurement errors?

5. Oct 8, 2006 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Consider the case if the graph was drawn a vs F.

The x-intercept will indicate that some non-zero force was necessary to start the acceleration of the object - a tipical real life situation we find in order to overcome the ever present frictional forces.

6. Oct 8, 2006 #5
    The intercept was about 0.0051 (N).

7. Oct 8, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What are the typical magnitude of your data values?

8. Oct 8, 2006 #7
    Which values? The a values or the F values?

All the force and acceleration values are less than 1.0 N and 1.0 m/s^2, respectively.

My smallest F value is 0.0961 N and greatest is 0.446 N.

My smallest a value is 0.188 m/s^2 and greatest is 0.869 m/s^2. The smallest F value corresponds with my smallest a value, and the greatest F value corresponds with my greatest a value.

9. Oct 8, 2006 #8
    A frictionless setup was organized (or was attempted to be organized), but it is possible to still have frictional forces as a source of error?

10. Oct 8, 2006 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Indeed there can, and will be!
    In your case, the force discrepancy is about a twentieth of your least value, that is most likely the effect of friction showing up.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook