1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F'(x) = 0 Trig ID Problems

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1
    Hi,

This is just a part of a calculus 1 problem. It occurs while attempting to make f'(x) = 0

f'(x) = cosX - 1/6cos3X

Now to make this zero I quickly note that in the domain of (0-2pi) cos=0 at pi/2 and 3pi/2 so the expression equals zero already! I have been informed by my instructor I need to use a series of identities to achieve a final answer close to

cosX[5/6 +2/3sin^2x]

While it may very well include the cos zero I outlined above (and in fact insists on it!) it is now more complicated...... sigh....

Thing is I would never make this connection on exam day without seeing what is going on. Tutors give me that look like it's obvious as does my instructor but I just don't see how or why I should stretch it and why if so stop at this point as I could continue....

ANY help advise greatly appreciated!

Warren

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

More precisely, the derivative is zero at those two values.
    I'm confused. Are you supposed to rewrite your derivative as above? If so, start by replacing cos(3x) with cos(2x + x) and using the addition formula.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook