Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: F'(x) = 0 Trig ID Problems

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1
    Hi,

This is just a part of a calculus 1 problem. It occurs while attempting to make f'(x) = 0

f'(x) = cosX - 1/6cos3X

Now to make this zero I quickly note that in the domain of (0-2pi) cos=0 at pi/2 and 3pi/2 so the expression equals zero already! I have been informed by my instructor I need to use a series of identities to achieve a final answer close to

cosX[5/6 +2/3sin^2x]

While it may very well include the cos zero I outlined above (and in fact insists on it!) it is now more complicated...... sigh....

Thing is I would never make this connection on exam day without seeing what is going on. Tutors give me that look like it's obvious as does my instructor but I just don't see how or why I should stretch it and why if so stop at this point as I could continue....

ANY help advise greatly appreciated!

Warren

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

More precisely, the derivative is zero at those two values.
    I'm confused. Are you supposed to rewrite your derivative as above? If so, start by replacing cos(3x) with cos(2x + x) and using the addition formula.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook