Solving 0x^2 + ax + b = 0: Why Different Results?

• Thread starter JusApee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving for the zeros of a quadratic function and the use of the quadratic formula. The conversation also touches on the concept of completing the square and how it relates to finding the zeros. The main focus is on the limitation of using the quadratic formula when the coefficient of the squared term is zero.
JusApee
Hello, PF! I'm here with a question. It may be stupid and I may be wrong (I'm surely wrong somewhere in here)...

Okay, so we have:
[itex]f(x) = 0x^2+ax+b = ax+b[/itex]
You agree with me, right? But what if I won't remove [itex]0x^2[/itex] from my equation? That would leave it like [itex]f(x) = 0x^2 + ax + b[/itex] which is still the same thing but it is a 2nd degree function.

So if I try to solve [itex] f(x) = 0 [/itex] and treat it like a 2nd degree function, it would look like this:

[itex]0x^2 + ax + b = 0;[/itex]

[itex]Δ = a^2 - 4*0*b = a^2 ≥ 0[/itex]

So.. [itex]∃ x_1 , x_2 , \in\mathbb R[/itex]

[itex]x_1,_2 = \frac{-a\ \ \pm\ \ a}{0}[/itex]

And that leaves us with the solutions:

[itex]x_1 = \frac{-2a}{0} \not\in\mathbb R[/itex]
and
[itex]x_2 = \frac{0}{0} \not\in\mathbb R[/itex]

However, we all know that a linear function:
[itex]g(x) = ax+b[/itex] has the solution: [itex]x = \frac{-b}{a}[/itex]

So why do I get such different results if I treat the same function differently? I mean, did I think something wrong in my reasoning? It's not part of my homework or anything, it just came to me while reading a topic here and I had to write it down to see what would happen... So it got my attention. Something must be wrong here, but teoretically [itex]f(x) = g(x)[/itex] ... So I got curious about it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The derivation of the quadratic equation solution formula is not valid if ##a=0## (division by zero), so you can't use ##x=\frac{-b\pm \sqrt{b^2 -4ac}}{2a}##. Do you know how to derive the formula by "completing the square"?

hilbert2 said:
The derivation of the quadratic equation solution formula is not valid if ##a=0## (division by zero), so you can't use ##x=\frac{-b\pm \sqrt{b^2 -4ac}}{2a}##. Do you know how to derive the formula by "completing the square"?

Hmm... Looks like I forgot that detail. It actually makes much more sense now.
Now that I think better, the teacher said this back when I studied this.
[itex]ax^2 + bx + c = 0 , \ \ a \not = 0[/itex]

I don't know what do you mean by deriving the formula by "completing the square". Yes, I know how to derive the functions, I learned this year. I don't know what "completing the square" means. I may have learned it, but I may not know the english name.

No matter how close [itex]a[/itex] is to zero, as long as it is not precisely zero, the solution formula to the quadratic equation can be used. This means that it makes sense to examine what happens to the zeros in the limit [itex]a\to 0[/itex]. The important tool to this is the Taylor approximation

[tex]
\sqrt{1 + \delta} = 1 + \frac{1}{2}\delta + O(\delta^2)
[/tex]

which holds at the limit [itex]\delta\to 0[/itex]. The solutions to

[tex]
ax^2 + bx + c = 0
[/tex]

can be written as

[tex]
x = \frac{-b \pm |b|\sqrt{1 - \frac{4ac}{b^2}}}{2a}
[/tex]

and now the quantitity [itex]-\frac{4ac}{b^2}[/itex] takes the role of [itex]\delta[/itex]. In the limit [itex]a\to 0[/itex] the zeros can be approximated with formula

[tex]
x = \frac{-b \pm |b|\big(1 - \frac{2ac}{b^2} + O(a^2)\big)}{2a}
[/tex]

If one studies the cases [itex]b>0[/itex] and [itex]b<0[/itex] separately, one finds that eventually the zeros can be simplified to the following forms:

[tex]
x = -\frac{c}{b} + O(a)\quad\textrm{or}\quad x = -\frac{b}{a} + \frac{c}{b} + O(a)
[/tex]

Thus we see that one of the zeros approaches the number [itex]-\frac{c}{b}[/itex], which is the solution to

[tex]
bx + c = 0
[/tex]

while the other zero diverges to [itex]\pm\infty[/itex].

JusApee said:
Hello, PF! I'm here with a question. It may be stupid and I may be wrong (I'm surely wrong somewhere in here)...

Okay, so we have:
[itex]f(x) = 0x^2+ax+b = ax+b[/itex]
You agree with me, right? But what if I won't remove [itex]0x^2[/itex] from my equation? That would leave it like [itex]f(x) = 0x^2 + ax + b[/itex] which is still the same thing but it is a 2nd degree function.
No, the degree of a (nonzero) polynomial is by definition the highest power which occurs with a nonzero coefficient. So ##0x^2 + ax + b## has degree 1, not 2.

1. How is it possible to get different results when solving 0x^2 + ax + b = 0?

There are a few reasons why different results can be obtained when solving the equation 0x^2 + ax + b = 0. One possibility is that there may be multiple solutions to the equation, which can result in different values depending on the method used to solve it. Additionally, different techniques may be used to manipulate the equation and solve for the unknown values, leading to different outcomes.

2. What are some common techniques used to solve 0x^2 + ax + b = 0?

Some common techniques used to solve the equation 0x^2 + ax + b = 0 include factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. These methods all involve manipulating the equation in various ways to isolate the unknown values and solve for them.

3. Can rounding or approximations affect the results when solving 0x^2 + ax + b = 0?

Yes, rounding or approximations can have a significant impact on the results when solving 0x^2 + ax + b = 0. If the equation involves irrational or complex numbers, approximating their values can lead to slightly different results. Additionally, rounding errors can accumulate and affect the final outcome, especially when using iterative methods to solve the equation.

4. Are there any limitations to solving 0x^2 + ax + b = 0?

Yes, there are limitations to solving 0x^2 + ax + b = 0. One limitation is that this equation can only be solved for real numbers, so any complex solutions will not be obtained. Additionally, the methods used to solve the equation may have limitations, such as being unable to handle certain types of coefficients or factors.

5. How can one ensure accurate and consistent results when solving 0x^2 + ax + b = 0?

To ensure accurate and consistent results when solving 0x^2 + ax + b = 0, it is important to follow the correct steps and techniques for solving the equation. It is also helpful to double-check the results and use multiple methods to confirm the solutions. Avoiding rounding or approximations can also help to maintain accuracy and consistency in the results.