1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F(x) continuous, lim integral x to 2x of f(t) = 0 does integral of f(x)dx converge

1. Dec 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    True Or False
    if f(x) continuous in [tex][a,\infty][/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\int_x^{2x}f(t)dt = 0 [/tex]
    Then [tex]\int_a^\infty f(x)dx [/tex] converge

2. Relevant equations
    Anything from calc 1 and 2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Actually I'm really stuck..
    My main motive is to try and show that if [tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\int_x^{2x}f(t)dt = 0 [/tex] there is no way that Cauchy test can fail,
    I assume Cauchy test fail and that [tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\int_x^{2x}f(t)dt = 0 [/tex] and try to show that there is no option for this to happen.
    First I tried on f(x) that can be positive and negative .. didn't made it, Then I tried on f(x) that is only positive also didn't made it..
    Maybe its false, But I didn't found any function that does not converge and also [tex]\lim_{x\to\infty}\int_x^{2x}f(t)dt = 0 [/tex]
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: f(x) continuous, lim integral x to 2x of f(t) = 0 does integral of f(x)dx converg

Well, let's try and make such a function. Suppose we make the integral over [a,2a]~1/2, the integral over [2a,4a]~1/3, the integral over [4a,8a]~1/4. Then integral over all t should diverge like a harmonic series, right? Now, what must the values of such a function look like? Over [a,2a] it should be about 1/(2a). Over [2a,4a] it should be about 1/(3*(2a)). Over [4a,8a] like about 1/(4*(4a)). Etc, etc. That sort of looks like 1/(log(t)*t) to me.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  4. Dec 16, 2009 #3
    Re: f(x) continuous, lim integral x to 2x of f(t) = 0 does integral of f(x)dx converg

Thank you Dick
    I didn't thought about series all I had in mind were function..
    I tried and tried , even when I tried to build a function like you did by [a,2a],[4a,8a], I did it by building it by other function, I never imagine building a function with a series
    Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook