1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: F(x) function help

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    Given [tex]f(x)=x^2-4x[/tex] , [tex]x\in R[/tex] , [tex]|x|\leq 1[/tex]

so f(x) is a one to one function , and i am supposed to find its inverse .

and i found :

[tex]f^{-1}(x)=2\pm \sqrt{4+x}[/tex]

this is weird since a single input would give 2 different outputs and it cant be considered a function . But f(x) is a one-one function , so it should have an inverse ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Re: function

You have solved the equation [itex]y=x^2-4x[/tex] for all x in R. Yet the original function only exist for |x|<=1. This restricts the domain such that it is one to one (it is not one to one for all x in R). Use this domain to determine which branch you need.

4. May 11, 2010 #3

thanks ,i thought so too but i am not sure how to see from the domain that the inverse should be 2+root(4+x) OR 2-root(4+x)

5. May 11, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The domain of f is {x | |x| <= 1}. That domain can be written as an interval, which should help you figure out which branch to use for the inverse.

6. May 11, 2010 #5

Cyosis

Homework Helper

The range of f is the domain of f^-1. If f(a)=b then f^-1(b)=a.

7. May 11, 2010 #6

thanks again !

so the domain of f(x) is between 1 and -1 , and the range is between -3 and 5 , so the domain of f^(-1)(x) is also between -3 and 5 ? so both +ve and -ve would produce such range , err i am still confused ,

8. May 11, 2010 #7

Cyosis

Homework Helper

I suggest you plug in some numbers to see what happens.

9. May 11, 2010 #8

thanks !!

10. May 11, 2010 #9

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Broadening things out, it depends on what you mean by one-to-one. The term one-to-one means injective to some, bijective to others. The function is a one-to-one function by both meanings of the term over the domain |x|≤1. It is not bijective over all of the reals, so it does not have an inverse function for this extended domain. (It does however have an inverse multivalued function.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook