1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F(x) is a rational number

1. Mar 13, 2014 #1
    question.png

Please see attached.
    The question is to determine f(0).

In my opinion the question wants me to find f(x)..

If f(x)=1, then

1. f:[0,1] -> R is continuous (do I need to prove?)

2. Obviously, f(1) = 1

3. f(x) is a rational number for all xε[0,1]

so f(0) = 1

Am I correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Editing because I think I misunderstood your question in my first reply.

Yes, that's reasonable. Technically you only need to find ##f(0)##, but enough information is given that you can find ##f(x)## for all ##x \in [0,1]##.

I take this to mean you want to set ##f(x) = 1## for all ##x \in [0,1]## and verify that it meets the conditions. And it does meet the conditions:

Assuming you know that a constant function is continuous, then you don't need to prove it again.

Yes.

However, all you have done is to show that the constant function ##f(x) = 1## satisfies the conditions. Can you prove that it is the ONLY function that meets the conditions? How do I know there isn't some other function with ##f(0) = 0## which works?

Indeed, you can answer this problem without even stating the values of ##f(x)## for ##0 < x < 1##. The key facts you need are that ##f## is continuous and that ##f## takes on only rational values. To do this, suppose that ##f(0) \neq 1## and look for a contradiction. Hint: there's a fundamental theorem about continuous functions that makes this a one-liner.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  4. Mar 13, 2014 #3
    Thanks a lot.
    I think I am done in this question but I really want to know more...

If I prove f(0)=1 by contradiction
    which theorem can we use?
    I think extreme values theorem , IVT are unrelated..

5. Mar 13, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you need to prove is that if f is continuous and f takes only rational number values for all x in [0, 1], then f is a constant function. Use IVT. If f(a) is NOT equal to f(b) for some a and b in [0,1]) then f takes on all values between f(a) and f(b). That is an interval and any interval contains irrational numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted