1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F(x)={sinx for x<22/7 {mx+b for x>22/7

1. Feb 23, 2005 #1
    Hi any idea on this:
    Find all the values of the constants b and m for which the function.

f(x)={sinx for x<22/7
    {mx+b for x>22/7

I will appreciate for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Rule 1: Copy the problem correctly! The way you've stated it, you can't find m and b. There exist functions having those values for all m and b! Did you mean "for which the function,..., IS DIFFERENTIABLE at x= 22/7"?

In order to be differentiable at a point, the function must first be continuous there.
    Strictly speaking, the function you gave is not even defined at 22/7 and so can't be continuous there.

I am going to assume that what you REALLY mean is: "Find all values of the constants b and m for which the function
    {sin x for x<= 22/7
    f(x)= { mx+ b for x> 22/7

is differentiable." (Since f is clearly differentiable every where other than 22/7 the crucial part is that it be differentiable at 22/7).

In order to be differentiable, it must first be continuous: the limit of f(x) at 22/7 FROM THE LEFT (x< 22/7) is sin(22/7) (And, once again: 22/7 is ALMOST pi. Did your problem really have 22/7 rather than pi). The limit of f(x) at 22/y FROM THE RIGHT is
    22m/7+ b so we must have 22m/7+ b= sin(22/7) (which is close to 0).

The derivative of f, for x< 22/7 is cos(x). The derivative of f for x> 22/7 is m. While it is not necessary that derivatives be continuous, they do satisfy the "intermediate value problem" so if f is differentiable at 22/7, and since the derivative functions to the left and right of 22/7 are continuous, they must "match up" there: m= cos(22/7) (close to -1). You can put that into the other equation to solve for b. (In fact, mx+ b is simply the tangent line to sin(x) at x= 22/7.)

4. Feb 23, 2005 #3
    sorry,sorry,sorry is true the one sent to me copied the problem wrong is like this

Find all the values of the constants b and m for which the function.

f(x)={sin x for x<pi
    {mx+b for x>=pi
    is a)continuous at x=pi b)is differentiable at x=pi

5. Feb 24, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay- in order fror the function to be continuous at pi, we must have
    [tex]m\pi+ b= sin(\pi)= 0[/tex]
    In order for the function to be differentiable at pi, we must also have
    [tex]m= cos(\pi)= -1[/tex].

6. Feb 24, 2005 #5
    Thanx I understand u

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?