Finding x(t) for a Particle Under Force F(x) = kx

• Thread starter Fascheue
  • Start date
I plugged in the constants and got x0/2 for both A and B. Is that... correct?No. Suppose you start with the initial velocity, which is zero. That is, ##\dot x(0) = 0##. Then we have $$\begin{aligned}x(0) &= Ae^0 + Be^0\\ &= A + B\\ &= x_0\\ \end{aligned}$$So, you can now eliminate one of the constants.Now use the information about the initial position.Right. So, you have two independent solutions to the differential equation: ##e^{\sqrt{k/m}\, t}## and ##e^{-\sqrt{k/m}\
Fascheue

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is subject to a force F(x) = kx, with k > 0. The initial position is x0, and the initial speed is zero. Find x(t).

Homework Equations

F(x) = kx

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
F = kx

ma = kx

d^2x/dt^2 = kx/m

dx/dt = (kx^2)/(2m)

x^-2dx = (k/2m)dt

-x^-1 = kt/2m + c

-x^-1 = kt/2m + x0

x(t) = -2m/kt - 1/x0

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Fascheue said:
d^2x/dt^2 = kx/m

dx/dt = (kx^2)/(2m)
In getting the second equation from the first, you integrated the left side with respect to t. But you integrated the right side with respect to x. This is not valid since you must do the same thing to both sides of an equation.

There are various ways you can solve the first equation. Have you studied methods of solving linear ordinary differential equations?

Likes Fascheue
TSny said:
Welcome to PF!In getting the second equation from the first, you integrated the left side with respect to t. But you integrated the right side with respect to x. This is not valid since you must do the same thing to both sides of an equation.

There are various ways you can solve the first equation. Have you studied methods of solving linear ordinary differential equations?
Not really, the most advanced math I’ve taken is Calculus 1, so my knowledge of differential equations is limited.

Fascheue said:
Not really, the most advanced math I’ve taken is Calculus 1, so my knowledge of differential equations is limited.
OK.

One approach is to guess the solution. (This is a very legitimate approach to solving differential equations!)

You need to solve ##\ddot x = \frac{k}{m} x##. So, you are looking for a function ##x(t)## such that when you differentiate it twice you get back the function multiplied by a positive constant ##\frac{k}{m}##.

Suppose for the moment we forget the constant. Can you think of a function ##x(t)## that would be a solution of ##\ddot x = x##?

Likes Fascheue
TSny said:
OK.

One approach is to guess the solution. (This is a very legitimate approach to solving differential equations!)

You need to solve ##\ddot x = \frac{k}{m} x##. So, you are looking for a function ##x(t)## such that when you differentiate it twice you get back the function multiplied by a positive constant ##\frac{k}{m}##.

Suppose for the moment we forget the constant. Can you think of a function ##x(t)## that would be a solution of ##\ddot x = x##?
I believe e^t should work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fascheue said:
I believe e^t should work.
Great. Can you "doctor" this solution so that it will solve ##\ddot x = \frac{k}{m} x##?

Likes Fascheue
TSny said:
Great. Can you "doctor" this solution so that it will solve ##\ddot x = \frac{k}{m} x##?
Would it be x = (m/k)e^t?

That's a good try, but it doesn't actually work. If ##x(t) = \frac{m}{k}e^t##, then ##\ddot x = \frac{d^2 }{dt^2}\left( \frac{m}{k}e^t \right) = \frac{m}{k}e^t = x \neq \frac{k}{m} x##.

Can you think of another way to try to modify ##e^t##?

Last edited:
Likes Fascheue
TSny said:
That's a good try, but it doesn't actually work. If ##x(t) = \frac{m}{k}e^t##, then ##\ddot x = \frac{d^2 }{dt^2}\left( \frac{m}{k}e^t \right) = \frac{m}{k}e^t = x \neq \frac{k}{m} x##.

Can you think of another way to try to modify ##e^t##?
Oh, it would just be x = (k/m)e^t wouldn’t it be?

Fascheue said:
Oh, it would just be (k/m)e^t wouldn’t it be?
No. If you try it you will see that it doesn't work. Taking two time derivatives just gives back the function. It doesn't give (k/m) times the function, which would be (k/m)⋅(k/m)et = (k/m)2et.

Let's try ##x(t) = e^{bt}##, where ##b## is some constant. Can you find a value (or values) of ##b## that will work?

TSny said:
No. If you try it you will see that it doesn't work. Taking two time derivatives just gives back the function. It doesn't give (k/m) times the function, which would be (k/m)⋅(k/m)et = (k/m)2et.

Let's try ##x(t) = e^{bt}##, where ##b## is some constant. Can you find a value (or values) of ##b## that will work?
I think I see now, should it be e^sqrt(k/m)t?

Yes. Good. It will be important to see that there is another value of ##b## that will also work.

Likes Fascheue
TSny said:
Yes. Good. It will be important to see that there is another value of ##b## that will also work.
I think e^-sqrt(k/m)t should work as well.

Right. So, you have two independent solutions to the differential equation: ##e^{\sqrt{k/m}\, t}## and ##e^{-\sqrt{k/m}\, t}## .

It is not hard to check that you can combine these to obtain a general solution in the form $$x(t) = Ae^{\sqrt{k/m}\, t} + Be^{-\sqrt{k/m}\, t}$$ where ##A## and ##B## are arbitrary constants. Hopefully, you will check that this does satisfy the differential equation.

For your problem, you can determine the values of these two constants by using the information given about the initial position and velocity. Start with the information about the initial velocity.

Likes Fascheue
TSny said:
Right. So, you have two independent solutions to the differential equation: ##e^{\sqrt{k/m}\, t}## and ##e^{-\sqrt{k/m}\, t}## .

It is not hard to check that you can combine these to obtain a general solution in the form $$x(t) = Ae^{\sqrt{k/m}\, t} + Be^{-\sqrt{k/m}\, t}$$ where ##A## and ##B## are arbitrary constants. Hopefully, you will check that this does satisfy the differential equation.

For your problem, you can determine the values of these two constants by using the information given about the initial position and velocity. Start with the information about the initial velocity.
I plugged in the constants and got x0/2 for both A and B. Is that correct?

Fascheue said:
I plugged in the constants and got x0/2 for both A and B. Is that correct?
Yes. That should do it. You can express the result in terms of a hyperbolic trig function if you wish.

Likes Fascheue

1. What is the purpose of solving F(x) to x(t)?

The purpose of solving F(x) to x(t) is to find the value of x that corresponds to a given value of F(x). This can help us understand the relationship between two variables and make predictions about future values.

2. How do you solve F(x) to x(t)?

To solve F(x) to x(t), you need to use algebraic or numerical methods. Algebraic methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the variable x, while numerical methods use iterative processes to find a numerical solution.

3. What are some common techniques for solving F(x) to x(t)?

Some common techniques for solving F(x) to x(t) include substitution, elimination, graphing, and using the quadratic formula. These techniques can be used depending on the complexity and type of the equation.

4. Why is solving F(x) to x(t) important in science?

Solving F(x) to x(t) is important in science because it allows us to understand the relationship between variables, make predictions, and test hypotheses. It also helps us analyze and interpret data to draw conclusions and make informed decisions.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving F(x) to x(t)?

Solving F(x) to x(t) has many real-world applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to predict the trajectory of a projectile, calculate the concentration of a solution, or determine the optimal production levels in a business.