1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F(x)=x for some x

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to prove that if a function is bounded for x between (0,1) and f(x) is bounded also between (0,1) and f(x) is continuos that there exists some x such that f(x)=x

2. Relevant equations

Intermediate value theorem?

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that this problem makes intuitive sense, and I've drawn out bounds, and I know obviously, that this statement will hold true, and the proof probably involves the intermediate theorem law, but I am just not sure how to construct my proof for it. Can I just say that for f(0)<x<f(1) then x=f(x) for some x (and repeat the same thing for my other two cases, when f(1)>f(0) and f(1)=f(0))?

Any help would be great

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2
    First off, you need the conditions you've listed to hold on ##[0,1]##. A counterexample on ##(0,1)## would be ##f(x)=x^2##.

You are correct that the Intermediate Value Theorem might prove useful. Think about the function ##g(x)=f(x)-x##.

4. Oct 14, 2013 #3
    Okay, I considered doing that; would I try to now show that g(x)=0 for some x?

5. Oct 14, 2013 #4
    Yes.

6. Oct 14, 2013 #5
    Okay, I think I got it now, thanks!
    I just considered two points; g(1) and g(0), and showed how between those points, there always exists a zero as g(1) can be between 0 and -1 and g(0) is between 0 and 1, so by the intermediate value theorem, there has to be a zero between these two points for any g(x) that satisfy the properties of f(x)

7. Oct 14, 2013 #6
    That sounds like the right idea. You'll definitely need to beef up the rigor a bit to make it a proper proof.

8. Oct 14, 2013 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's important to remember that that "between" is inclusive of rather than exclusive of the end points. You used (0,1) in the problem statement rather than [0,1]. gopher_p's counterexample of f(x)=x2 satisfies the conditions of the opening post, but there is no point in (0,1) where f(x)=x. There is such a point (two points in this case) if one looks at [0,1] instead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted