Understanding the Derivative of F(x, y, z) = tanh (x+2y+3z)

• Thread starter makyol
  • Start date
In summary, the question is about finding the derivative of f(x, y, z) = tanh(x+2y+3z) with respect to x. The answer is sech^2(x+2y+3z), which is found using the chain rule. The partial derivative with respect to x is equal to the partial derivative of tanh(u) with respect to u times the partial derivative of u with respect to x.
makyol
f(x, y, z) ?

Hey there,

Sorry for the title, but i cannot find any appropriate one for it, here is my question!

If f(x, y, z) = tanh (x+2y+3z) => fx =?(what is the derivative of f(x, y, z) with respect to x?)

Actually, i know the answer but i do not get the idea! In case it might help, the answer is that: sech^2(x+2y+3z)

So, as i said, can someone explain it to me? How can they reach this answer? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

makyol said:
Hey there,

Sorry for the title, but i cannot find any appropriate one for it, here is my question!

If f(x, y, z) = tanh (x+2y+3z) => fx =?(what is the derivative of f(x, y, z) with respect to x?)

Actually, i know the answer but i do not get the idea! In case it might help, the answer is that: sech^2(x+2y+3z)

So, as i said, can someone explain it to me? How can they reach this answer? Thanks!
What you want is the partial derivative with respect to x. And you'll need the chain rule here, which looks something like this.
[tex]\frac{\partial tanh(u)}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial tanh(u)}{\partial u} \cdot \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex]

Oh, i see now, i made a dummy mistake. Thank you for your quick reply!

1. What is F(x, y, z)?

F(x, y, z) is a mathematical function that takes in three variables, x, y, and z, and produces an output value.

2. How do you calculate F(x, y, z)?

The specific calculation for F(x, y, z) depends on the specific function being used. Generally, you would substitute the given values for x, y, and z into the function and perform any necessary operations to find the output value.

3. What is the purpose of F(x, y, z)?

F(x, y, z) is used to describe relationships between variables and to model real-world phenomena. It can also be used to solve equations and make predictions.

4. Can F(x, y, z) have multiple outputs?

Yes, F(x, y, z) can have multiple outputs depending on the specific function being used. Some functions have one output for each set of given inputs, while others may have a range of possible outputs.

5. What is the difference between F(x, y, z) and f(x, y, z)?

The difference between F(x, y, z) and f(x, y, z) is simply a matter of notation. F(x, y, z) is often used to represent a specific function, while f(x, y, z) is used to represent a general function. The variables x, y, and z still represent the same quantities in both cases.