Down Under: Surprising Qualifying Results for F1 in Melbourne

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
In summary, the McLaren drivers were given a five-place penalty for obstructing Fernando Alonso and Nick Heidfeld during qualifying. This gives the Ferrari drivers the front row for Malaysia. The race should be interesting.
_Mayday_
This thread is for all things F1 :smile:

I missed the Qualifying Round this morning, as it was sometime early in the morning here. Just 6 hours left until the start out in Australia! I'll post a few links below that should keep everyone updated if they miss the odd race here and there.

The Headline - 16/03/08
"Saturday was a day of surprises in Melbourne - no Ferrari on the front row, BMW Sauber looking a genuine threat to polesitters McLaren, and Honda eclipsing Renault and almost making Q3 - despite all the gloomy pre-race predictions that have surrounded the Japanese team."

http://www.formula1.com/" [Broken]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One" [Broken]

Enjoy everyone! Should be a great season :smile: I have a feeling it will be Hamilton's season, and I bet I am not the only one!

_Mayday_

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I had to laugh when Hakkinen pulled out, we had a mid day repeat showing.

It needs a couple of races to see which drivers have adapted to the new rules
(no traction control) etc.

wolram said:

I'm one of those people who watch the beginning and end, that's where the action is, if I am busy then I'll skip the rest.

Who will you be supporting this year woolie? I'm a Honda fan, so it's Jenson Button for me. :smile:

wolram said:

That'll be Raikkonen :smile:

Kurdt said:
That'll be Raikkonen :smile:

OOps silly me.

I want to see Coulthard do well.

I would just like to say for any fans on the forum, the live timing facility provided by the official website is fantastic. I've used it for a couple of years now and it adds a whole new dimension to the races.

My favorite type of car racing: rally
Least fav.:NasCar
F1 is pretty cool cause of the sheer speed and the cool cars.

Well the race just finished with only 7 cars. Ferrari look to have some serious engine problems after Kimi's engine went and the engine in the Toro Rosso of Bourdais blew a few laps from the end.

Hamilton won :frown:

Alonso was fourth :smile:

Kurdt said:
Well the race just finished with only 7 cars. Ferrari look to have some serious engine problems after Kimi's engine went and the engine in the Toro Rosso of Bourdais blew a few laps from the end.

Hamilton won :frown:

Alonso was fourth :smile:

A curse on the internet, i must be crazy looking at such a thread.

wolram said:
A curse on the internet, i must be crazy looking at such a thread.

You mean to say you didn't get up at 4am like me to watch the race wolram?

Kurdt said:
You mean to say you didn't get up at 4am like me to watch the race wolram?

I do not have a tv, i was going to watch the re play at moms after i had cooked dinner and taken the Benji for a walk.

Kurdt said:
F1 coverage in the UK will return to the BBC in 2009:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7306123.stm

It can't come soon enough for me. I'm sick of having the race interrupted by ad breaks. Hopefully they'll get rid of James Allen as well.

And that stupid intro, if the BBC cock this up, as they do with most things, i will cuss them to kingdom come.

Alonso?

Ferrari front row for Malaysia. Looks to be an interesting race.

Both McLaren drivers get a 5 place penalty for obstructing Fernando Alonso and Nick Heidfeld during the 3rd qualifying session. Here is the provisional grid.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/3/7543.html [Broken]

I did not see the qualifying, was the McLaren penalty just? i think the only way to make qualifying fair is to allow only one car on the track at a time ,other wise there will all ways be cries of foul.

wolram said:
I did not see the qualifying, was the McLaren penalty just? i think the only way to make qualifying fair is to allow only one car on the track at a time ,other wise there will all ways be cries of foul.

Yes it was a just decision. They were cruising round on the racing line trying to save fuel while Alonso and Heidfeld were still doing their flying laps. They were right in the way and it was very dangerous as the closing speed was almost 150MPH, and they caused both cars to veer off the racing line.

Heres a vid on youtube of the event:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z3_GjtJ9SIY

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
Yes it was a just decision. They were cruising round on the racing line trying to save fuel while Alonso and Heidfeld were still doing their flying laps. They were right in the way and it was very dangerous as the closing speed was almost 150MPH, and they caused both cars to veer off the racing line.

Heres a vid on youtube of the event:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=z3_GjtJ9SIY

I agree that the situation looked dangerous, but what are the drivers who are not on a qualifying lap supposed to do, what would a fair speed be? they are allowed to save fuel
by going slowly.

wolram said:
I agree that the situation looked dangerous, but what are the drivers who are not on a qualifying lap supposed to do, what would a fair speed be? they are allowed to save fuel
by going slowly.

Well they shouldn't have been on the racing line like every one else, its that simple.

Kurdt said:
Well they shouldn't have been on the racing line like every one else, its that simple.
Fair enough.

Ferrari looking very dominant on the normal type of circuit. Excellent win for Raikkonen in Malaysia, and well done Kovalainen. :wink:

Procession and attrition, there is no cut and thrust any more, it is just so boring when the only overtaking is when one makes a pit stop, i hope next year the cars do not make so much dirty air.

So far this year Alonso's been the only one to put some moves on people, that's why he's the best. :wink:

Just a technical issue I remembered from the race that not many picked up on, but aerodynamic surfaces have to be static according to the rules and Brundle said the hub on Hamiltons car was spinning. If I'm not mistaken that counts as an aerodynamic surface and thus should remain fixed. Shouldn't Hamilton have been disqualified for that unless the rules have changed this year regarding those hub things?

I am trying to think of an insult but can not come with one that would hurt an Alonso supporter. Tongue.

Ferrari look on top yet again for the Sakhir Bahrain GP after the initial friday practise sessions.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/4/7591.html [Broken]

Other big news was the Hamilton crash in free practise 2.

ray b said:
Hamilton's spinning wheel cover scoop hurt more then it helped anything
so no cheat or foul there

Well it doesn't matter if it hinders or helps, its an illegal car.

EDIT: Just been checking the revised rules and it turns out that those ducts aren't considered aerodynamic surfaces any more and are considered as part of the braking system (under article 11.4) so the rule about the surface moving doesn't apply. :rolleyes:

Never mind. Its a nightmare keeping up.

Last edited:
Kubica takes BMW's first pole position with Massa, Hammilton and Raikkonen behind him. Very interesting qualifying.

Are they going to change the qualifying rules, some thing about 150% speed for slow down lap?

wolram said:
Are they going to change the qualifying rules, some thing about 150% speed for slow down lap?

Yes they've changed the rules. Here is a summary.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/4/7597.html [Broken]

Kurdt said:
Kubica takes BMW's first pole position with Massa, Hammilton and Raikkonen behind him. Very interesting qualifying.

Where did your champion come, what's his name-------Alonso?

Massa takes the third race from Kimi and the two BMW's. Quite an interesting race. :smile:

Spanish qualifying results.

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2008/790/6501/

After the testing earlier this week it looked like Renault had caught up a little bit, but I think they surprised everyone with their qualifying performance. The McLarens have definitely lost some ground.

<h2>1. What were the surprising qualifying results for the F1 race in Melbourne?</h2><p>The surprising qualifying results for the F1 race in Melbourne were that Mercedes, the dominant team in recent years, did not secure the top spot on the grid. Instead, it was Red Bull's Max Verstappen who claimed pole position, followed by Ferrari's Charles Leclerc and McLaren's Lando Norris.</p><h2>2. Why were these qualifying results considered surprising?</h2><p>These qualifying results were considered surprising because Mercedes has been the team to beat for the past 7 years, winning both the drivers' and constructors' championships. Additionally, they had dominated the pre-season testing in Bahrain, leading many to believe they would continue their dominance in Melbourne.</p><h2>3. How did the teams and drivers react to these results?</h2><p>The teams and drivers were shocked by the qualifying results, with many expressing surprise and excitement at the unexpected outcome. Max Verstappen, who claimed pole position, called it a "great start to the season" while Lewis Hamilton, who qualified in P2, admitted he was "a little bit surprised" by the results.</p><h2>4. Did these qualifying results have any impact on the race?</h2><p>Yes, these qualifying results had a significant impact on the race. Max Verstappen went on to win the race, with Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas of Mercedes finishing in second and third place, respectively. This marked the first time in 7 years that Mercedes did not win the season-opening race.</p><h2>5. What does this mean for the rest of the F1 season?</h2><p>It is difficult to predict the outcome of the entire F1 season based on one race, but these surprising qualifying results have certainly shaken things up. It shows that the competition between the top teams is closer than ever, and we can expect an exciting and unpredictable season ahead.</p>

1. What were the surprising qualifying results for the F1 race in Melbourne?

The surprising qualifying results for the F1 race in Melbourne were that Mercedes, the dominant team in recent years, did not secure the top spot on the grid. Instead, it was Red Bull's Max Verstappen who claimed pole position, followed by Ferrari's Charles Leclerc and McLaren's Lando Norris.

2. Why were these qualifying results considered surprising?

These qualifying results were considered surprising because Mercedes has been the team to beat for the past 7 years, winning both the drivers' and constructors' championships. Additionally, they had dominated the pre-season testing in Bahrain, leading many to believe they would continue their dominance in Melbourne.

3. How did the teams and drivers react to these results?

The teams and drivers were shocked by the qualifying results, with many expressing surprise and excitement at the unexpected outcome. Max Verstappen, who claimed pole position, called it a "great start to the season" while Lewis Hamilton, who qualified in P2, admitted he was "a little bit surprised" by the results.

4. Did these qualifying results have any impact on the race?

Yes, these qualifying results had a significant impact on the race. Max Verstappen went on to win the race, with Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas of Mercedes finishing in second and third place, respectively. This marked the first time in 7 years that Mercedes did not win the season-opening race.

5. What does this mean for the rest of the F1 season?

It is difficult to predict the outcome of the entire F1 season based on one race, but these surprising qualifying results have certainly shaken things up. It shows that the competition between the top teams is closer than ever, and we can expect an exciting and unpredictable season ahead.

Back